Corsair Community

460X RGB and add-on LED strips

VaLiuMDriP

I'm sure if I continued clicking on multiple forum posts that I could eventually find the answer to my question, but I'm already a day into searching and stop have no answer, so here goes.

I recently bought my son a new PC and as the title implies, the case is the Corsair Crystal Series 460X RGB. He is wanting to add LED strips to it for his Christmas present, and I'm trying to see if there's anyway to control the case fans and either the Corsair LED Lighting Pro or Lighting Node Pro with Corsair link?

From what I've read thus far, it's my understanding that he can't control the stock case fans AND add-on LED lights with the case controls on the top AND Corsair Link, but what about just unhooking the front panel controls and syncing case fans and light strips with Corsair Link?

Thanks in advance for any help I get here.

There are two solutions to this issue.

1) Get the Corsair Lighting Node Pro kit with LED strips. The Lighting Node Pro (LNP) is the software integration tool for both the LED strips and the front SP120 RGB fans. Instead of the manual switch on the case, he would use the Corsair Link software to control the fan colors and LED strips. The control option are increased over the manual controls and the devices can be set a whole or tuned individually. There are 4 LED strips in this kit and they are capable of moving patterns in addition to standard color display. However, the LNP is not a fan controller and this is a light show only. Fan speed would continue to be controlled by either the motherboard or whatever fan controller the front 3x120mm fans are connected into right now.

2) Get a Corsair Commander Pro (C-Pro) and Lighting Pro Expansion Kit. The C-Pro also serves as the interface between lighting and the Link program, but also houses a 6 fan control hub and 4 temperature probes (if needed). So, it will do all of the above plus you can move all system fans onto this controller. This takes the motherboard controls out of play and offers a desktop software total control system, for either DC or PWM fans. So now you have lighting and fan control from one software package. However, LED strips are not included, hence the Lighting Pro kit. This is the same as the 4 strips that come with a LNP, except you also get 4 extensions. For a larger kit, these are rather useful. I have not wired a 460X, so I cannot tell you if they are essential. I suspect not, but perhaps someone else can weigh in on that.

Total list price cost is $60 vs $110 USD for the two choices. That's a fairly substantial difference, if you don't need the fan controller. For some, the fan controller solves motherboard deficiencies or generally poor control options. If the system specs in your profile are for the PC in question, the other thing to consider is how AI Suite (asus) behaves when Corsair Link is running. AI suite can be useful for fan control, but it makes for a poor system monitor and overclocking and other changes are best done from within the BIOS, not from the desktop. The C-Pro would allow you to remove AI Suite from the system and use Link for fan control. I don't know what is being used for CPU cooling and if that is a Corsair Link product ("i" cooler), but that adds another layer of complexity to the decision. If those are not issues, the standard LNP with LED strips should do the job.