Corsair Community

Asus K8V SE Deluxe & Twinx1024-3200LL Settings

MasterChef

Here's the problem I'm having:

Asus K8V SE Deluxe

Latest BIOS - 1005, 11/29/04

Corsair Twinx1024-3200LL (I know LL and a matched pair doesn't help on A64 systems but I have this set available and need to get it working reliably in this system.)

info from Corsair stickers - a Twinx sticker on each module, then - CMX512-3200LL XMS32005V1.1 0309055

XMS3200 512MB 400mHz 2 2 2 6 - T1

The original packages have stickers with TWINX1024-3200LL 0310427 on them.

Bios Settings:

Legacy USB support - disabled

DDR Voltage - 2.7 as recommended in this forum

Other memory settings - all on default - (all auto except bank interleave is disabled) and showing up with CAS=2, TRcd=2, TRas=6 and TRP=2.

Problem:

Memtest86+ version 1.50 completes without errors.

Windows memory diagnositic finds numerous errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic

The system previously passed both tests with the DDR voltage change to 2.7 as the only change from the default auto memory settings. It now is failing.

Diagnostic steps taken:

I put Kingston 3200 memory in system - passed both memory tests fine. (For anyone running the Windows memory diagnostic, it does appear to give false results with this motherboard if the legacy USB support is not disabled.)

I changed settings to 2.5-3 -3-6 with same voltage of 2.7. Still fails Windows memory diagnostic. Also tried with bank interleave set to Auto instead of Disable. (The BIOS sets it to Disable by default.) Also tried 2.5-3-2-6 and 2-3-2-6 with 2.7 volts.

I put this Corsair Twinx 3200LL pair in an identical K8V SE Deluxe - same BIOS, same settings. Got the same results. Passes the Memtest86+ 1.50 test but fails Windows Memory diagnostic.

Suggestions RAM Guy? Or is it time for an RMA?

I know LL and a matched pair doesn't help on A64 systems

A matched pair is more important on a A64 system because of the memory controller.

The fact that they're LL's does'nt matter.

Are you actually having problems, or are you relying on the Windows Memory Diagnostic results.

Are you actually having problems, or are you relying on the Windows Memory Diagnostic results.

Yes, I'm relying on the Windows Memory Diagnostic test results because in my experience installing XP on dozens of systems if I don't ensure I have rock solid stable memory to start off, I ultimately end up with BSOD or other issues later on during the install or shortly afterward. While Memtest86+ is a great tool I find that using the results from both tools is a good practice.

This memory previously passed both tests and was running fine in this system. For some unknown reason the BIOS got reset - system started up with an error message that overclocking failed - even though I'm not overclocking.

I knew that the only change from the default settings that I had orginally found to work with these matched sticks was to raise the DDR voltage to 2.7 volts.

Ever since the BIOS reset error the memory would no longer pass the memory tests - as it had previously. Since my post I even re-flashed the BIOS and am getting the same results - they won't pass the Windows Memory Diagnostic tests. They are always passing the Memtest86+.

I can't point to any direct operational problems because I haven't been running the regular Windows setup until I resolve this glitch. I don't want to wait and have some corruption that I won't be able to detect. That's why I run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool.

Let me know what tests or settings you want me to try and I'll give them a shot.

What should the Bank Interleave be set to? Asus sets the default at disabled. The other choice is Auto. The specs say to set it to 4 banks. I've tried it both disabled (default value) and Auto.

What slots do you have the modules in and have you tried them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org for atleast 2 or 3 passes?

Slots 1 & 3. Tested separately & together. Passes the basic memtest for several hours - well over 2-3 passes. (I've toggled the extended tests in version 1.50 of memtest86+ but they are considered beta code at this time.) Immediately fails on every test in the Windows Memory Diagnostic test. Used to pass it just fine. USB Legacy is set to disabled.

Over on memtest86+'s official forum the comparison of the standard tests vs. the full tests for boards like the K8V SE Deluxe. My guess is the Windows Memory Diagnostic is finding a problem that the extended (uncached) Memtest tests would also find. Memtest86+ forum

Some example comments from that forum arguing for the "full" uncached tests include:

"The machine that produces an error with the uncached tests and not with the cached tests is another example of this. I've ran the cached tests of 1.40 for 68 hours and no error appears, I run the moving inversions test with cache turned off and I get 3 errors every pass, always on exactly the same address and extremely dependable. The module also gives errors in another machine, with the module inserted into a machine it is unstable so it is most definately defective.

I have seen motherboards like this as well. The K8V SE Deluxe was very sensitive to errors in RAM and this reflected in MemTest where as the A8V Deluxe is more forgiving (but nevertheless the error still exsists). We test all of our PC3200RAM in K8V-SE motherboards because of this experience."

End Quote from Memtest Forum

• Corsair Employees

Try slots 2-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. But I have no problem replacing the modules if you want to try that, but I suspect it may be the CPU it self failing from what you have posted.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Thanks. I'll give that a shot and run them through the tests again. Just to confirm, what are your recommended settings for this board with this memory? I have an A64 3200+ in it.

These are old enough they don't have the separate listings for AMD vs. Intel. 2-3-2-6 with 2.7 volts?

So for the K8V SE Deluxe you are saying run the 3200LL at it's SPD settings of 2-2-2-6? I just want RAM GUY to confirm his recommended settings for THIS module in THIS motherboard and processor so I can complete the testing he requested. He previously confirmed the voltage of 2.7.

• Corsair Employees

Lets try replacing the modules, but getting errors on both modules would suggest some other issue.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived