Corsair Community

CUE ignores certain key combinations like Alt+PrtScn

jubuttib

Was trying to recreate a macro from my old G15 that I used to create lots of 1920x1080 wallpapers out of random aspect ratio images with the help of CDisplay (due to its great "automatic background color" function). Basically what the macro does is:

1. Hit Alt+PrtScn (to screenshot only the active program)

2. Hit Space (to move to the next image)

3. Wait for 3.1 seconds then repeat

Ran into a lot of issues before I got it working. Basically CUE doesn't want to recognize it when I hit Alt+PrtScn, only recording the Alt. This is a weirdly arbitrary thing to do IMO.

Eventually I got everything to work by recording a macro that pressed A+S and then replacing those via editing to Alt and PrtScn. A very cludgey way to handle things, but seemingly necessary.

Is this a common problem, is the program acting as designed? Seems weird to me to arbitrarily limit things like this.

Ran into a lot of issues before I got it working. Basically CUE doesn't want to recognize it when I hit Alt+PrtScn, only recording the Alt. This is a weirdly arbitrary thing to do IMO..

That is interesting, i am sure you stumbled on a "bug." If I recall, there are certain keys like Print Screen or Pause Break that unlike other keys on the keyboard, have more than __ bits associated with them and they have some sort of interrupt functionality. I really dont know the specifics but i tried running from within CUE the keystroke recognition box and could not get alt print screen to come up. I was able to record a new macro and hit alt and then add an event for print screen in the middle as a separate key, sort of like what you suggested above as a workaround.

I hit alt print screen all the time in general and have even used it in macros in the past for specific things, but maybe not with the macro record function.

I suspect this failure is not as much of a bug as it is a limitation of how everything is implemented, and I get where you are coming from, but hopefully you have what you need to fix it?

That is interesting, i am sure you stumbled on a "bug." If I recall, there are certain keys like Print Screen or Pause Break that unlike other keys on the keyboard, have more than __ bits associated with them and they have some sort of interrupt functionality. I really dont know the specifics but i tried running from within CUE the keystroke recognition box and could not get alt print screen to come up. I was able to record a new macro and hit alt and then add an event for print screen in the middle as a separate key, sort of like what you suggested above as a workaround.

I hit alt print screen all the time in general and have even used it in macros in the past for specific things, but maybe not with the macro record function.

I suspect this failure is not as much of a bug as it is a limitation of how everything is implemented, and I get where you are coming from, but hopefully you have what you need to fix it?

Well, reason for this is that print screen isnt a "key", its a function. Same with Pause/Break. That's not saying they cant be modified, but they aren't keys in of themselves. Pause/Break is a low level CTRL+C and I belive (not saying I'm right, but I belive) that Print Screen is CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE from the DOS days. That let you Break a proscess and the other let you Grab the screen text.

The keys do get recognized as individual key presses when used by themselves, I have no problem recording a macro with an individual PrtScn press inside it. It's also listed as an option under the "Select key" list when editing events, and also comes up as "PrintScreen" when used in the "or type key" box.

While I haven't totally exhaustively tested everything, so far it's only been Alt (or AltGr)+PrtScn that hasn't worked, even Ctrl+PrtScn works.

And FWIW Ctrl+Shift+Delete doesn't seem to replicate what PrtScn does in any way under Windows, it functions just like any other key combination.

Edited by jubuttib