Corsair Community

Corsair H115i & Asus Maximus X Apex Connectivity

l Nuke l

Was wondering what the optimal way to connect cooler to mobo is. Would I be able to connect both radiator fans individually to cpu and cpu opt fan headers, the pump fan header to the mobos aio pump header, and then just connect the pump power to the sata via psu and just bypass corsair link? Would this option give me full fuctionality?

You won't get "full functionality" without Link. That said, it will run with a default profile - quiet?

Connecting the fans to the motherboard is not ideal. You should connect them to the fan headers coming from the pump. This will control your fan speed based on the coolant temperature rather than the CPU temperature. For liquid cooling, this is actually more appropriate and will keep you from having fan "blips" as CPU temps vary far more widely than coolant temps.

The standard way to connect the H115i is with the cooler lead on a motherboard header (usually CPU fan) and the two fans connected directly to the pump. This allows the H115i's fan controller to regulate the speed by coolant temperature, as designed. It will do this automatically based on firmware protocols, but if you wish to alter those settings you need to connect the USB line and install Link.

If you are tying to bypass Link for whatever reason, you can put the two radiator fans on CPU/OPT and the H115i header wherever. That header from the cooler doesn't do much. It does not provide power (SATA does) and is most useful to prevent the typical CPU boot error when nothing is on CPU fan. It will report half of the actual pump speed to the BIOS, but at least then you know it is running. AIO/W_Pump header is as good a place as any since not all boards can convert that back to standard CHA fan header. There are no special properties for the AIO/W_Pump header and its setting will make no difference for operation. You would still need the USB cable to see coolant temperature in Link. You won't be using it for fan speed (CPU/OPT is CPU temp only), but it would be needed for troubleshooting or actually seeing how fan speed affects the cooler's operation.

The standard way to connect the H115i is with the cooler lead on a motherboard header (usually CPU fan) and the two fans connected directly to the pump. This allows the H115i's fan controller to regulate the speed by coolant temperature, as designed. It will do this automatically based on firmware protocols, but if you wish to alter those settings you need to connect the USB line and install Link.

If you are tying to bypass Link for whatever reason, you can put the two radiator fans on CPU/OPT and the H115i header wherever. That header from the cooler doesn't do much. It does not provide power (SATA does) and is most useful to prevent the typical CPU boot error when nothing is on CPU fan. It will report half of the actual pump speed to the BIOS, but at least then you know it is running. AIO/W_Pump header is as good a place as any since not all boards can convert that back to standard CHA fan header. There are no special properties for the AIO/W_Pump header and its setting will make no difference for operation. You would still need the USB cable to see coolant temperature in Link. You won't be using it for fan speed (CPU/OPT is CPU temp only), but it would be needed for troubleshooting or actually seeing how fan speed affects the cooler's operation.

Okay so I am better off just installing it the way corsair says to on the manual?

Okay so I am better off just installing it the way corsair says to on the manual?

If you want to use Link, yes. If you want to bypass it for whatever reason, then the CPU/OPT (fans) and AIO header (cooler) set-up works. AI Suite and Link tend to step on each others toes. A lot of people are keen to try AI Suite when they first get an Asus board. That would a reason to set it up without Link. You can change your mind later and many people grow tired of AI Suite and do just that.

If you want to use Link, yes. If you want to bypass it for whatever reason, then the CPU/OPT (fans) and AIO header (cooler) set-up works. AI Suite and Link tend to step on each others toes. A lot of people are keen to try AI Suite when they first get an Asus board. That would a reason to set it up without Link. You can change your mind later and many people grow tired of AI Suite and do just that.

Thanks Dude.