Corsair Community

Possible bad RAM?

Raistlin X

Bought a stick of Corsair Value Select 512MB PC3200.

(VS1GBKIT400C3 PC3200 1024MB 2x64Mx64 2x184 DIMM)

Put it in and it worked fine. Ran with no problems for about a week.

Today I turned my computer on after it being off for about 3 days. It wouldn't turn on. Replaced the power cord and it seemed to work fine.

However, when it got to the XP bootup screen I got a BSOD with a STOP 0x24 error. It said my NTFS.sys file was corrupt and to run checkdisk, so I used the XP CD to boot into recovery mode and did so. Afterwards it worked fine again, then suddenly while within in windows I get another BSOD with some strange error I didn't record. Rebooted and got the 0x24 error again, so I then had to rerun Checkdisk. This cycle repeated about 10 times with each time me editing driver startups in MSConfig hoping it was some driver conflict.

Finally I gave up and formatted. During the installation I get yet another BSOD. This one was a STOP 0x000000DE: POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA error. I did some research on it and found that it meant my memory was bad, either in my RAM or L2 cache or something.

Considering I can't even install Windows on a formatted drive, it has to be hardware related. I did not change my timings at all when putting in the new RAM, but I'm not sure if that would prevent Windows from being installed.

The other 512 stick is some noname brand I cannot determine. I bought it from my local mom-and-pop run computer store, and CPU-Z can't even label it. It's worked fine though and is the same speed (PC3200) as the Corsair stick.

Specs:

ABIT KV8 Pro

Athlon 64 2800+

1x512MB Corsair PC3200 Value Select

1x512MB Unknown Brand PC3200

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

ATI Radeon 9600 XT

• Corsair Employees

Please put the memory module on slot 1 & 3; make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB, and set the following settings on your BIOS;

VS1GBKIT400C3 or VS512MB400C3

Guru Utility

CPU Clock: 200

Spread Spectrum: Enabled

DDR Voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced Chipset:

Memclock Mode: Limit

Memclock Value: 2:1 (DDR400)

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Length: 8

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

Hypertransport: 4X

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived