Corsair Community

H80i v2 + 460x case ?

Artwebb1986

Im getting a new system in a couple days. As i'm still running an i7 920 + h50 i think it is. So going to use that as a HTPC.

New system i'm getting is a

i7 4790k

Asus maximus Hero 7 board + 32gig ram.

So Im in need of a new case, power, cooler.

Looking at the H80i v2, power will be Corsair CS750M, and ideally the Corsair Crystal Series 460X case ?

Ive been searching around all day and by the looks of it everything should fit in there fine. Should be enough room for the radiator + 2 fans on the rear ?

Probably grab myself a m.2 samsung evo 500gig and only have 2 3.5" drives to put in the case.

Other case I was looking at thats in stock at the local computer store is Corsair Carbide Clear 400C that also says the h80i is a compatible cooler, but just making sure before i go ahead and get all this stuff.

Thanks

This shot has it in the back, which is most traditional for the rather chunky 99mm total depth. However, I am wondering about a front rail, top slot placement. It would move it out of the GPU heat zone and most of the CPU waste heat would go right out the top.

https://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/7/9/7946_30_corsair-crystal-series-460x-rgb-mid-tower-chassis-review.jpg

That also raises another consideration. The H80i v2 is a thick package and adds a definite bulk to the profile. In a closed case this really doesn't matter, but if you are going to get glass case, then aesthetics must play some part in your plans. Since the H100i v2 is only about $10 USD more, I would be strongly tempted to go for the thinner, but dual pane radiator. This would also go on the front in the top two slots, but it would blend into the overall case lines. It should have slightly better temps than the H80i v2 and with less needed fan speed. You could always double up on fans later with push pull and still be slimmer than the H80i v2. I am not sure if there were other considerations in that choice, but I would lean toward a 240mm radiator.

Theoretically, it could also go up top, provided you have low profile (not super tall) memory. However, the top is shallow and again I think it adds some heft to the case lines.

Edited by c-attack

Thanks for the quick reply.

Look makes no difference to me actually. The only reason I chose that case was because it was on sale. I really could care less on the glass side as that glass will be up against my desk anyways. Was actually more of a just making sure it's going to fit before going to buy the case + cooler + power.

The h80i v2 is on sale right now for $95cdn after $10 mail in rebate. the H100i unfortunatly is $149.99 and no rebate.

Yikes, I didn't realize the exchange rate was so bad right now. $55 CDN is quite a difference. Nothing wrong with the case, most people don't realize how big the H80i v2 is until they put it together.

Here is on in the 400C. I don't know why, but I find it more balanced looking in that case. Clearly personal preference and there is no reason to pick one or the other based on the H80i. Again, front placement is an option. I have not tested the 400C/Q this way. Perhaps someone else has.

https://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/7/6/7638_29_corsair-carbide-clear-400c-mid-tower-chassis-review.jpg

Oh yes the exchange is horrible.

Those 2 cases look the exact same. Only reason I even selected the 460x they have an open box on for an extra 10% off. So getting that for $105 + $20 mail in rebate.

Id be more leaning towards the rear placement, seems easiest.

Maybe even a Fractal Design Define S. That might have a bit better build/spacing.