Corsair Community

H100i v2 Push/pull advice.

crushellon

Hello.

I have a H100i v2 and would like to add two more fans for a push/pull setup. My Motherboard has cpu & cpu_opt headers that are both pwm and variable voltage compatible (asus strix z270f). I am confused by the H100i though, it has PWM fans, but from the cooler block to the MB it just uses a 3 pin plug also the splitter that comes with the H100i only has 3 wires going to the second fan. So I'm looking for suggestions as to which fans I should get that would be a good match for the stock pair that come with the H100i and whether I should use them with a 3 or 4 pin splitter. The configuration I want is to have the H100i plugged into the CPU header on the motherboard and have the two new fans plugged into the CPU_OPT header on the motherboard using a splitter and have all 4 fans speeds running the same as each other.

Thanks in advance.

The fan header that the cooler is plugged in to doesn't control the fans or the pump speed. It is there to provide power to the unit and needs to be set to 100% to ensure that the pump gets the full 12v that it needs. It also provides a tach signal to prevent your CPU Fan warning from going off.

So what you are suggesting won't work to have the fan speeds running the same for all 4 fans. You would need to plug your fans into the CPU and CPU_OPT header directly (with 2 splitters) and plug the cooler in to another fan header set to 100% ... but then you'd lose the ability to control the fan speed based on the coolant temperature. Or you could put all 4 fans, with two splitters, off the fan header coming from the pump ... but it's not likely that the cooler would actually be able to adequately power all 4 of them from its fan header. If you are going to run 4 fans from the fan header coming off of the pump, I would suggest using a separately powered PWM hub (like https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511868998&sr=8-1&keywords=silverstone+pwm+hub) that would connect to the fan header from the pump and then duplicate and distribute the PWM signal to all 4 fans while ensuring that they had adequate power.

And after all that, you will probably only get 1 - 3 degrees improvement. Push/Pull may well be worth doing on a thick radiator or a heavy overclock, but other than that, you will have to buy 2 fans, the noise will go up (more fans = more noise) and you will get minimal improvement.

Hello.

I have a H100i v2 and would like to add two more fans for a push/pull setup. My Motherboard has cpu & cpu_opt headers that are both pwm and variable voltage compatible (asus strix z270f). I am confused by the H100i though, it has PWM fans, but from the cooler block to the MB it just uses a 3 pin plug also the splitter that comes with the H100i only has 3 wires going to the second fan. So I'm looking for suggestions as to which fans I should get that would be a good match for the stock pair that come with the H100i and whether I should use them with a 3 or 4 pin splitter. The configuration I want is to have the H100i plugged into the CPU header on the motherboard and have the two new fans plugged into the CPU_OPT header on the motherboard using a splitter and have all 4 fans speeds running the same as each other.

Thanks in advance.

I am push/pull on a H100i V2 and have LL fans Front and HD fans on back.

this is how i sorted fan control

QaJwdUK.jpg

I am able to match Fan curves in Link no problems at all.

K9yXvCzl.jpg

VQBMUlel.jpg

The HD fan on my PSU shroud is awaiting the release of the H150i Pro Rgb 360 rad AIO :)

you will get minimal improvement.

Aesthetics play just as an important part as function these days ;).. who wants to look at a bare radiator? ;)

Edited by Zotty

The H100i v2 (and most i coolers) have an internal fan controller in the pump housing. That unit is PWM. You should not try and alter fan or pump speed from the BIOS along the 3 pin power line. That should stay at 100%.

The H100i v2 controller has a 1.0A limit, same as the motherboard header providing power. This makes running 4 fans + pump + lighting a little difficult. You would need to select very low current draw fans and those may not be ideal for a radiator.

Most likely, you need to move the H100i v2 lead to a CHA fan header set to 100%/Full Speed, then use 2 splitters on CPU & OPT to handle the 4 fans. This will limit you to CPU temp as the control variable.

The SP120 PWM High Performance Edition (ring) is the natural compliment to the SP120l (grey) fan you have now. Same fan, just dressed up. However, my preference would be for the ML120 series to replace them all. It is a slight step up in performance with a definite decrease in noise at the same speeds. 4xML120 Pro does have a cost, but the RPM range is similar enough it can be paired with the SP120L. Perhaps that is the smart way to approach it. One pair ML120 now. Another later if you decide it was worth it. If all else fails it is a better direct replacement for the current fans and can also be used as a standard case fan.

Most likely, you need to move the H100i v2 lead to a CHA fan header set to 100%/Full Speed, then use 2 splitters on CPU & OPT to handle the 4 fans. This will limit you to CPU temp as the control variable.

Or ... use the Silverstone hub I mentioned above or use a Commander Pro as Zotty mentioned. Either of those would allow you to continue using the coolant temp as your control variable.

Running all 4 fans off the fan header on the pump might work, at least in the short term, ... but it's definitely not a good idea. It's more likely that it won't work.

Thanks guys. Exactly the information I needed. Also, I didn’t realise using the coolant temp as the control variable was the thing to do. By default Corsair link has it going off the cpu package, and I run a 7700k so it constantly spikes at idle and the fans are always spinning up. Not sure how I should set the curve though if I have it running off the coolant temp.

Thanks guys. Exactly the information I needed. Also, I didn’t realise using the coolant temp as the control variable was the thing to do. By default Corsair link has it going off the cpu package, and I run a 7700k so it constantly spikes at idle and the fans are always spinning up. Not sure how I should set the curve though if I have it running off the coolant temp.

That you can fix right now. It should have defaulted to the coolant temp (H100i v2 Temp "Group") by default, but no matter. Click the fan reading in the H100i box on the Main panel in Link. In the pop-up, change the group to H100i v2 Temp. Note, all of the preset fan curves (Quiet, performance, balanced) are designed to run from this variable. With a max speed at 40C, you will hit this constantly if running from CPU temp.

As for range, there is nothing special about 40C either. Most people will have idle coolant temps about 4-7C above the room temperature, then see load temps +6-10C above that. The irony is most people will see higher coolant temps gaming than CPU stress test alone. This is a direct result of GPU waste heat elevating the case internal temperature, but it is additive to the final CPU temp nonetheless. Either way, you only need medium steady fan speeds to help dissipate the heat from the radiator. You do not need the fans to react with load like an air tower. Probably the best thing to do is find out your normal highest coolant temp, set a fan speed you can live with right about there, then make the last dot or two spike to 100% around 50-55C. This will give you an immediate auditory warning if the pump does not start or there is a record breaking coolant temp, even if you are not watching Link. Minimum can be as low as you like. One thing to note is room temp has a large effect on idle and load coolant temps. That perfect curve in Winter will be too loud in Summer. You may have to do some seasonal tweaking if you live in a temperate climate.

" who wants to look at a bare radiator?"

Not me, that's why I put my ML140 led fans on the bottom of the rad, pushing air out through it.

although.. i do like the copper finish on this one :D :D

33072.jpg

but still.. would be a shame not to go push/pull on that beast.. 12 fans.. reason to have 2 Commander Pro's just for that rad alone lol