Corsair Community

H80iv2 Buzzing / Chirping Noise

BobT36

Is this noise normal? (you'll have to turn your sound way up to hear the noise. Also ignore me clicking in the background, I was running a game to force the PC into high performance mode.

The noise only starts with a game or something running, sounds like a high-pitch buzzing or chirping. Seems to come from the pipes? Though maybe the radiator.

http://www.filedropper.com/audiorecording

I can't say that I heard anything recognizable as what you describe in the recording.

That said, it is unusual for the pump to make different noises when running a game. The pump speed doesn't really have a curve; it's set to either quiet or performance and that set the pump speed. The fans will spin up, however, this would only typically happen as the coolant heats up (you do have it set to control fan speed based on the coolant temp and not CPU temp, correct?)

Does the sound correlate to an increase in fan speed?

You have to turn the volume up with headphones on to hear it I think. Really high pitch whine / buzzing noise, seems to only happen when in a game or stressing it.

I have the fan on quiet I think generally. Where's the option to manage coolant temps etc? I can provide screenshots of the setup if need.

Yes, that's correct. Now ... I'd check to see if that noise correlates to an increase in fan speed. I think that's the most likely source of the noise and correlating it with an increase in fan speed would confirm it. To test, you can go into Link and set the fan speed to "Fixed" and increase it a bit at a time to see if the sound starts.

And ... it could be another fan that's connected to the system, especially if they are set to be controlled by CPU temperature. When gaming/stressing, the CPU temp will spike (normal) but the coolant temperature will take a long time to rise. So those motherboard-controlled fans are more likely to speed up quickly when stressing the system than the cooler fans are.

I did listen to the file with headphones on, cranked up but really couldn't distinguish it.

I don't hear it either and I have my headphones dialed in to amplify the higher end. You said it's when gaming? ALT+TAB back to the desktop while playing and see if it goes away. I wonder if you are hearing the VRM modules on the GPU. The power should step down when you exit full screen mode and go to the desktop (except AC Origins - fix that UBI!)

Hmm I think you may be right. The static / chirping starts when the game fully loads (as in goes from the menu to being in-game), and disappears almost immediately when I alt tab.

Took a vid of link, and some audio recorded at the same time. Hopefully you can hear it better this time.

http://www.filedropper.com/link_3

00:00 - 01:26 - Idling / loading CS:GO.

01:27 - 03:53 - Gaming

03:54 - 04:07 - Alt Tabbing

04:08 - 04:13 - Gaming

04:14 - 04:25 - Alt Tabbing

04:26 - 04:43 - Gaming

04:44 - 04:50 - Alt Tabbing

04:51 - 04:56 - Gaming

04:57 - 05:21 - Exiting Game.

Btw what controls Fan#1? I presume that's one of the radiator fans. I know I can turn the other radiator fan up to Max on the H80iv2 panel, but Fan#1 seems to only change when I use the "Profile" selector at the top to change the overall profile between performance / quiet etc. Fan#3 is my front-case fan so I know about that.

Edited by BobT36

That's GPU whine for me. I suppose it's possible it's from the radial or axial fan (what GPU? Blower?), but my money is on the circuit board. My Titan X does this too and it's water cooled. It was the twin hummers in my last build that moved me into headphone gaming.

Sigh... the Link fan enumeration. I have no idea whatsoever. It seems to have a mind of its own, makes duplicates, uses strange values, etc. Use the H80i v2 box to check pump or fan speeds. Anything in the Main panel could be anything. If you really want to use Link as a monitoring tool, you need to use the configuration tab, then selectively include the things that matter while leaving out extras and the nonsensical.

I can hear it the most from the top of my case, rather than the side. Asus Strix GTX 980ti I have, got it around April 2016.

Is it something to worry about? When I fit the new fan I'll give the case a good check / clear out.

Heh that's strange then since I thought the point was for the two radiator fans to be controlled together. I currently only have those and the front fan installed, and the front one is fan #3, which leaves the other two to be radiator fans.

Fan #1 increases when change the overall profile from quiet to performance, but doesn't increase when specifically control the H80iV2 fan. Weird since they're both plugged into the H80i splitter, then that goes into the CPU_FAN header, on the left 3 pins as shown in the manual. Have set CPU fan to full speed in BIOS too.

I might be able to make a guess from a Main tab screen shot, but it would still be a guess. The H80i v2 onboard controller only has one fan sensor, so yes both fans will be controlled in sync, but there should be only one "speed" reading and control dial since it sees this as one fan. It is likely Link is reading half pump speed on one "fan dial". The others could be case fans, the GPU fans, or just duplicates.

It is certainly possible to get some bearing whine out the fan when inverted on the radiator. However, this would not change based on game load, hoping back to desktop or game menu. It could be infrequent, but it would also be somewhat random. I still sounds like GPU power noise. Keep in mind those high frequencies are rather directional, so the from the top of the card where the circuit board lies it might seem to come out of the top when above. A 980Ti is big card. It is probably going to have some power noise.

Related to that, how are your coolant temperatures when in a loaded GPU state? The 980Ti is such a little heat monster. There were a lot of people who experienced such a dramatic rise in case heat it lead them to believe the cooler was malfunctioning. From your screen shot, I am guessing you have it top mounted. What kind of peak and range do you get with the H80i v2 Temp?

Strange then heh, possibly just the software being weird. Definitely only have 3 fans in atm (2 radiators, one lower front). The gpu fans are shown separately and are correct as they only kick in when the card goes over 60 (the 0db mode on that card).

Yes I have the H80i mounted at the top rear of my case, with the hoses on the bottom, as it was in the manual.

As to the coolant temps, is that shown in Link in the video? During the bit where it was running a game.

And yeah the circuit board does point up so it's likely the GPU. As long as it's nothin to worry about then all's good.