Corsair Community

Problems with gig set XMS 3200XL rev1.2

xpr-k

I purchased a gig set of TWINX XMS3200 rev1.2 (pn: xms3208v1.2 0452067-2). On arrival i was on a DFI lanparty revB mobo and i started testing + burning in my sticks seperately . I was very pleased with the performance i found of each stick seperately but when i tried to use both of them things went wrong . When i booted into windows i was met with errors very soon (IE closing etc) so i figured i needed to lower my FSB a bit . Next boot with a lower FSB (5mhz lower then the max of the weakest stick) didnt even manage to get into windows but BOD'ed and rebooted . I then choose SPD timings/200FSB and ran OCZ memtestv1.0 to see what was up . When test#5 finished it gave 700+ errors . I tried switching the sticks around using different dimms , avoiding dual channel but nothing worked , test#5 always gave around 750 errors on the first run .

I was waiting on my DFI UT 250GB at the time so i decided to give em go on my new motherboard before contacting . I havent tested as extensively , but i tried both sticks seperately first on known save speeds and then i tried both of em on SPD timings/200FSB and got 2300+ errors on the first run of test#5 .

I'm pretty sure this means i got a faulty set but if you got some tweaks for me to try ide be happy to cause i havent got any replacement memory atm which means an extra cost .

I havent contacted the shop i bought em from (date 10jan05) yet ,cause your FAQ advised to post here first for some initial support to rule out buyer error .

Nforce² XP2600+ mobile vs nforce3 A64 3200+

And ive tested the sticks seperately on both systems , prior to testing em with both installed . Both systems show the same results , memtest86 test#5 passes when only using 1x512 even on higher speeds (223FSB/cas2 2 2 5/2.9Vdimm on nforce² , havent tried anytihng above 200FSB on the nforce³) but fail at default BIOS settings when put in together .

On the nforce³ i havent bothered trying different dimms yet . Just used the first dimm for the seperate tests and the first and second dimm to test both . As soon as i saw +2000 errors on the first pass of test#5 i removed 1 stick and have been running @ stock speeds since . No use in tweaking what is broken imo .

On the nforce² system i tried every combination , with and without DC .

Was it the same CPU on both mobos or different ones?

nforce² = athlon XP2600 mobile

nforce³ = Athlon A64 3200+ winchester s754 <--- this system will be used for the following test :

I got some spare time on my hands now here's what i'll do . I will test each stick of ram in each of my dimm's seperately . Settings will be cas2 2 2 5 / cpc or T1 enabled / Vdimm 2.8v . All other memsettings will remain default (and my DFI has loads :p) . The test wil be 3 runs (or less in case of errors) of memtest86 3.0 test#5

After i tested both sticks seperately , i'm gonna try 2 sticks in every possible combination of dimm (might skip a few combo's :p but 'ill try plenty) . I'm gonna use the same settings .

Ide use load optimized defaults but for some reason corsair twinX uses cas2 2 3 5 when u use SPD , eventhough CPU-z reads cas2 2 2 5 as SPD settings .

Its a known issue on the DFI UT 250GB s754

well mystery solved, it turns out 1 stick is faulty afterall .

I really dont understand how it passed my testing last week cause now it gave 16 errors on 4 passes of test#5 / cas2 2 2 5 T1 / 2.8Vdimm .

Just out of curiosity i dropped the Vdimm to 2.6 and got a massive 1000+ errors on the first run .

I honestly dont know how only last week it passed 5 runs of test#5 on cas2 2 2 5 / 2.5Vdimm, maybe it the flew making me see things =] i had quite a nasty fever .

So what do you advise ? RMA through the store where i bought em or direcly through you guys .

I live in belgium and bought the sticks from a german webstore called cheeep.de .

Man, don't know how I missed you posting the CPUs before lol.

Were you testing just with test 5, or the standard gauntlet of them all?

Try to RMA through your reseller first as it'll probably be quicker. They'll probably either replace it there, or help in the RMA process to the USA. If not, you can RMA it directly to Corsair in the USA. Ram Guy'll probably approve the RMA tomorrow.

Man, don't know how I missed you posting the CPUs before lol.

Were you testing just with test 5, or the standard gauntlet of them all?

Try to RMA through your reseller first as it'll probably be quicker. They'll probably either replace it there, or help in the RMA process to the USA. If not, you can RMA it directly to Corsair in the USA. Ram Guy'll probably approve the RMA tomorrow.

just test#5 as it will spot errors the quickest , i can do a full run if you like but i know test5 will give errors so it wont pass.

Ive allready been in contact with the store and they seem willing to handle the RMA themselves . Do i wait for the opproval from RAMguy and pass on the RMA number or do they have to request it themselves ?

Ok so i might have played it to nice to let the store decide and as a result they prefer me handling the RMA directly with you . I got a stick of twinmoss on order (winbond UTT :D: ) and as soon as that is in i will send my package to you .

[edit]

hmmm so i got no fax and no excell (only the viewer) and i cant use the online RMA form cause i'm outside the USA (you need a state) . So best thing that i could come up with was take a screenie and paint my data on it .

I sent you my very own edition of the request form in an email (through this forum) so check your inbox plz @ RAMGUY

[/edit]

• Corsair Employees

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

Archived