Corsair Community

Corsair HD120 & SP120 w/ RGB?

solarity

From my understandings the HD120 has a higher static pressure (2.25mm-H2O) as well as digital individually addressable LEDs that uses 5v power, while the SP120 has analog RGB that uses 12v power at a lower static pressure (1.45mm-H2O).

I am building a new machine that will have a custom loop and uses the Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z370 motherboard. I am looking for 3x120mm RGB static pressure fans and I would like them to be controlled by the motherboard. The motherboard has a total of 4 LED headers:

2x Analog WRGB

2x Digital w/ jumper settings of 12v or 5v for each digital RGB header.

I know that the motherboard would have no issue controlling the SP-120 as it is analog. My question can the HD-120 be controlled from the 5v digital header on the Gigabyte mother board? I heard rumors it could, but would need some type of adapter or modification, as the connector is proprietary to corsair.

• Corsair Employees

I know that the motherboard would have no issue controlling the SP-120 as it is analog. My question can the HD-120 be controlled from the 5v digital header on the Gigabyte mother board? I heard rumors it could, but would need some type of adapter or modification, as the connector is proprietary to corsair.

Not that I know of. Afaik, we've only tested our HD fans with our Lighting node pro and through our Commander PRO, like you said, those connectors are proprietary to Corsair ecosystem. But I have seen some people modified the HD fan connector to make it work with their motherboard.

If any of those changes in the future, we will surely let you know.

Not that I know of. Afaik, we've only tested our HD fans with our Lighting node pro and through our Commander PRO, like you said, those connectors are proprietary to Corsair ecosystem. But I have seen some people modified the HD fan connector to make it work with their motherboard.

If any of those changes in the future, we will surely let you know.

I guess I got something mixed up, I don't see any compatibility listed for motherboards and the SP-120 RGB lighting. Analog is analog and from what I read you might have to switch the connectors around. It is slightly annoying that corsair is trying to do proprietary stuff on something that is a common standard. This looks like it might be a deal breaker, I love to tinker though doing a custom loop is already a big project.