Corsair Community

H115i hookup on a ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero

imadot

Hi all, 1st post.

From reading here I'm a little confused on the hookup of the above-mentioned components. I have the manuals printed and on page 5 (intel) of the H115i manual, it tells me to hook up the pump power cable to the CPU fan header.Does that mean that I am supposed to use the marked "AIO_PUMP" header on the Hero board, or just use any regular CPU fan header? On the mobo, there is also a W_PUMP 4 pin header and have no clue about that one? Also, do I still need to configure the CPU fan headers any special way in the bios (I read this here as well).

Or are they (AIO_PUMP, CPU_OPT., and CPU_FAN) just named differently and are in fact the same points electrically? And one more thing- is the Corsair USB-link cable (attached from the pump to a USB 2.0 header) where the "data" for the "Link" software comes from?

Please help and thanks

They are just named differently and, electrically, the same. They also have different default settings in the BIOS. But they will all work. You will need to play around in the BIOS in Advanced Mode.

The AIO_PUMP is set to "DISABLED" by default ... which disables fan control and pushes the full 12V with (I think) no PWM signal on the header. This will work BUT ... you'll have to turn off the CPU Fan warning as it won't have a CPU Fan tach reading.

You can also use the CPU_FAN header. This won't give you the BIOS warning (it gets a tach signal from the pump) but you'll either need to set it to DISABLED or PWM Mode in the BIOS. If you set it to DC mode (again, in the BIOS), you'll need to set it to 100% across the board.

It's easiest to just use the CPU Fan and set the Q-Fan Control to "DISABLED".

Like this:

20171006_235005.jpg?psid=1

Wow, thanks for that!!

I'm such a noob at this- In setting the CPU Q fan control to disabled, what am I really turning off as far as the rest of the system is concerned? In other words by disabling Q-fan control, what does this do to all other fans on this Asus Maximus Hero board?

Won't this make all my fans run at MAX all the time, or is this setting "per" fan header?

Thanks again!!!

You are only disabling fan control for that ONE header. Nothing else. Well, kinda ... the CPU-OPT, mirrors the CPU header so that one has fan control disabled too. Anything on those headers will run at full speed. Which is goodness for the pump/cooler.

This is exactly how I have my H100i V2 set up on my Asus Maximus IX Hero. And, until recently when I got the Commander Pro, I was controlling my fans from the motherboard fan headers with no problem.

You're not actually turning off anything, just setting the CPU_Fan header to run at 100% at all times and most importantly it prevents the other Asus power saving or control features from trying to tune that header. You can "disable" it in the Advanced BIOS or set CPU Fan to "Full Speed" in the Q-fan section of the E-Z BIOS. They are the same thing.

As mentioned, on Asus boards the OPT header is a slave to the CPU fan setting. That makes it of limited use anytime you are not running twin fans on those two. The AIO_PUMP or W_PUMP header is a new marketing creation. They have taken one of your CHAssis fan headers and set it to 100% by default. On some boards you can change it back into a normal CHA fan header in the BIOS settings. On others you cannot. There are no special properties and it does not provide any advantage over the CPU header. The reason the manual directs you to the CPU header is something must be on CPU fan for the system to boot up. You will get an error if lacking. So from a functional standpoint, you can put the H115i connection on AIO/W_Pump, but then you need to put some case fan on CPU. The problem with this is that fan has different control parameters than the others and was meant for an air cooler. It has short fan delays, will ramp up even when you try to limit it, etc., as a means to protect the CPU. Those are not really desirable qualities in case fan control nor are they necessary for water cooling. This somewhat creates a little paradox on Asus boards of what to do with three headers with limited use. If you can turn the AIO/W_Pump header back into a CHA fan header with controls, I would put the H115i on CPU fan for sure. If you cannot and you are short motherboard headers, you can put the H115i on the AIO header and use the CPU/OPT headers for case fans with the limited control options. These AIO headers are really meant for stand alone units with separate pump and fan connections. The irony is most AIO units now have built in fan controls in the pump unit. This would have been more useful 5 years ago and well, if you can build your own cooling system then you likely know how to set one of your CHA fan headers to 100%. I wish Asus would go back to giving us the normally function CHA header.

Unlike DevBiker's H100i v2, your H115i lead does not supply power to the unit. It reports half the pump speed to the motherboard and its main purpose is to prevent the boot error when CPU fan is empty. Technically, you don't need it at all, however it does solve the boot issue and will report a number to the BIOS and other monitoring programs. This would let you know if the pump failed when in a non-Windows state like the BIOS or if Link were not running. You will need to make all fan and pump speed adjustments in Link. You cannot control the H115i fan controller or the pump from the BIOS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Ghostbird/CorsairH115cables_zpsvmrgdxhy.jpg

TYVM guys for help me get this thru my thick skull !!!

Edited :

Corsair H115i wiring onto an Asus Maxinus IX Hero.

1_ Cables #1 and #2 go to the fan cables (only the “4 pin” fan is monitored).

2_ Cable 3 is SATA connection (12v POWER from the motherboard) and on the other end is the USB connection #5 (for power) into the Pump.

3_ Cable 4 (Single wire for Pump speed monitoring) goes to the CPU “Fan-In” pin on the CPU fan header. Its "keyed" so it can only fit one way.

1) Goes to one of the fans. This fan will also provide the RPM (tach) signal back to the device.

2) Goes to the other fan. The 3 wires are Power, Ground, PWM signal. No tach signal returned.

3) SATA power connector. As c-attack mentioned, your cooler doesn't rely on power from the fan header (like mine does). Plug this into a SATA power lead from your power supply.

4) Put on the CPU Fan header. It'll provide a tach signal only. This will prevent CPU fan warnings on boot and also give you a heads-up if the fan fails. So keep that warning turned on.

5) Mini-USB connection. This connects the cooler to a USB port for Link to monitor it. They should have a cable to plug this into a header but if you don't have a spare header, you can possibly use a mini-USB cable to plug this into a standard USB port. You'd have to run it outside of your case so if you can't do that, you're out of luck. Many cases, however, have holes for external cooling systems/radiators and they work quite well for routing USB cables from inside to outside. (the NZXT 440 does; these are just above your expansion card slots). As the Maximus IX only has 1 USB 2.0 header, that's a possible option for you. I had mine set up like this for a while before I got the internal USB hub.

Thank you. What I didn't realize was that in the manual it never talked about the SATA power cable, but instead it mentions a "pump power cable" to the CPU_FAN header. Very confusing (and they need to update the manual).

On the "single" wire 3-pin connector I assume that this wire connects to the "CPU_Fan PWM pin on that header. If so, I have the complete picture I think!

That single wire, 3 pin connector would connect to the CPU_Fan tachometer (RPM) reading, not the PWM signal, making the BIOS "think" that a fan is spinning on the CPU cooler. Primarily that's to keep you from getting an error when booting (No CPU Fan! Stop! That's Bad!!) but it'll also serve as a warning that the pump is going. No pump would be a Very Bad Thing.

Yes, the missing SATA description has been an issue from the start. That SATA cable supplies power for both the pump and on-board fan controller.

The "3 pin" (#4) goes onto your motherboard. This is the dummy header for reporting half pump speed and avoiding the CPU boot error. Technically, it lacks the wire to be affected by speed commands from the motherboard, but I still recommend Asus board users set it to disabled/Full speed so the BIOS or other software won't keep trying to tune it. Every now and then I forget after flashing the BIOS and the system stalls forever trying to make something happen with that connection. When disabled it will be skipped.

That single wire, 3 pin connector would connect to the CPU_Fan tachometer (RPM) reading, not the PWM signal, making the BIOS "think" that a fan is spinning on the CPU cooler. Primarily that's to keep you from getting an error when booting (No CPU Fan! Stop! That's Bad!!) but it'll also serve as a warning that the pump is going. No pump would be a Very Bad Thing.

Is that the same as the "CPU Fan In" pin, on the CPU fan header?

In the Maximus IX Hero manual, page 1-24, header "C" (CPU_FAN) is where you plug it in. It'll be labelled on the board as CPU_FAN too but sometimes that's difficult to read.

And set the Fan Control to disabled. As c-attack mentioned, it'll keep the Asus BIOS and/or software from the futility of trying to tune it.

Ok and thanks again, Dev, but since this 3 pin connector can go onto a 4 pin header in "many" different ways, I'm just trying to get a "pin to pin" hookup explanation. Meaning that the wire on the 3 pin connector from the H115i side, hooks onto the CPU fan IN pin on the CPU Fan header, correct?

Archived