Corsair Community

Weird corrosion on H110i GTX?

Matt9882

Hello all,

I took my old rig apart about 3 weeks ago, and stored my 110i GTX in it's box while I was waiting on a few parts. Apparently sometime during that waiting period, some sort of corrosion or patina formed on the copper plate of the cooler. Is this something I should worry about? Temps seem to be in line for my new 1700x, but I don't want to cause any damage if it can be avoided. Using a healthy amount of GC-Extreme I'm getting about 40*C for normal usage (writing this post with a few Chrome tabs open) - a delta of about 17-18* C over the room ambient.

I've attached a picture of the patina to the post. The pump/plate part *was* in it's plastic covering while it was in storage, but it wasn't on tight as the AM3 bracket was on it - not whichever Intel bracket it shipped with. Thoughts?

20171003_205955.thumb.jpg.cc79149c7447760816ab81f83b4948e4.jpg

Have you tried cleaning it with Tim cleaner/alcohol (not vodka etc, isopropyl? )

Well first I tried whiskey, and when that didn't work...

Seriously though, yes. I cleaned it thoroughly with Arctic Silver ArctiClean and then used their Thermal Surface purifier. When that didn't do anything I hit it up with some spare rubbing alcohol. These pictures were posted after it was cleaned.

Yeah, I can't quite figure it out either. I have seem some similar discoloration, but not short term like that. I am afraid it goes a few microns down into the cold plate and you probably need some type of metal cleaning solution to take a couple layers off. I don't have a recommendation for that, but I am hoping some of the modders may have a suggestion. I am curious myself.

Archived