Corsair Community

CMX512-3200LL Died!!! T_T

ShinRei

One of my CMX512-3200LL stick died 2 nights ago. The other stick is working fine...so far, hehe.

What happen was that I was playing World of Warcraft when the PC froze and reset itself. This has happened before so I didn't think much of it. After the automatic reset, I tried to start up the game but it froze and reset again. During the startup, WinXp would reset it self multi-times (2-3 times) before finishing. When it does load, the PC would be unstable as it would reset after a few minutes (5-10 min.) of use and will alway crash when it loads up any 3D element of the game. (tested Rome Total War and World of Warcraft)

The PC seems to get worst with every reset to a point where it would not start up at all and just display the infamous "Blue Screen" upon loading WinXP.

I did manage to obtain Memtest86 before the PC became unusable. T_T The program displayed lots of errors. Basically the error address list would just scroll continously. I let the program run throught it a few times as well. I think I manage to got Memtest86 to display like 1300 errors with 3 passes, hahaha.

Anyways, after playing around with the RAM placements, I manage to isolated the bad stick.

The PC runs with just the other stick. I'm not sure what cause the other stick to "die". I'll sure it could not be just WoW that caused it.

The RAMs came from Alienware as these were the RAMs that I wanted to be in my PC when it was being built. I recieved the PC on 8/2003. The RAMs were working fine, as far as I know, till two nights ago.

Is the RAMs enable to be recover or is it trash fodder? Will RAM warranty be honored for my case?

Thank you soo much for your time. Sorry about the long post...didn't think it would be this long...sorry. Again, thank you.

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

MB = Intel D875PBZ

CPU = Intel Pent4 3GHz 512k L2 cache 800MHz FSB

For the BIOS settings, most, if not all, of the chipset settings were set to "Auto" or default settings. I can only remember changing the boot order.

However, I do recall that the memory setting were set to "User - Aggressive" when I was checking out why my PC was resetting itself. But, I don't remember changing that because I'm not an overclocking person...I like it safe. This is not a setting I would set. Maybe the constant reseting changed the BIOS setting (not even sure this is possible, haha)? Cause I was getting registry errors when my bad RAM stick was in the PC. That or Alienware set it....I don't remember.

Other than that...I didn't change much in the BIOS.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios version and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Hmm...oops...forgot to say that I already did that. That's how I found out that only one is affected.

Anyways, I re-test the bad RAM stick again with Memtest86 like you asked, with the suggested setting and update. Same result, the program showed nothing but errors, about 3000 errors in about 21 seconds, hahaha. I stopped the test because there was no point letting it run. The other RAM stick passed with no errors. These results were expected.

By the way, I fail to see why having an updated BIOS have anything to do with the bad RAM stick working when the other RAM stick works just fine. They are the same model and came with the PC together. Manufacturing dates and conditions between the RAMs are questionable however. They have been working since 8/2003 so I don't see why an updated BIOS would make anything different. Then again...what do I know...

• Corsair Employee

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

By the way, I fail to see why having an updated BIOS have anything to do with the bad RAM stick working when the other RAM stick works just fine. They are the same model and came with the PC together. Manufacturing dates and conditions between the RAMs are questionable however. They have been working since 8/2003 so I don't see why updated BIOS would make anything different. Then again...what do I know...

Some MB's if they do not have the latest bios will not detect the CPU properly and if that is the case will show or generate errors in memtest that are not the fault of the memory. Not too mention MB makers will some times refine their bios with newer revisions that are not mentioned in the bios history and many times may take of problems like what you have reported. Especially when getting only a few errors like in test 2-5-8.

Archived