Corsair Community

Urgent help needed!

GrizzlyGrizzy

Recently i've purchased the H100i V2 liquid cooler from newegg

i've received it installed but i can't get it to connect to corsair link not detected

i've searched pretty much everywhere on a solution but there has been nothing helpful so far

when i boot into windows i get a message that there is no CPU fan connected

but i connected everything the way it is supposed to be

so now it currently sounds like a jet engine

also i noticed when i boot my pc the corsair LED is perfect it lights up

but after my fans start spinning it goes out

can't detect the cooler in my bios,corsair link anywhere

im pretty lost at this point and have been tinkering around with this computer for over 5 hours

also don't think i will be able to return this as i bought it around 3 months ago

MOBO: MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK

CPU: I7700K

GPU: - not arrived yet

RAM: 16GB HyperX FURY

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX G1 650 WATT

STORAGE: 1TB Barracuda HDD

STORAGE: Samsung 960 250GB M.2 SSD

sorry for grammar not my main language

Are you positive the plug with the one wire is connected to your MOBO on the correct header (CPU FAN) ? Also that the plug is on the correct pin? In the BIOS, is the speed set to be 100%/Full?

YES, im 100% positive its all connected

the thing is that it doesn't even detect the fans in BIOS

therefore i can't even change it from there

im really annoyed by this

Just to confirm, I understand you have the connector with the single wire on a fan header, but it must be on the CPU header and on the correct pin.

You also have the SATA power connection on correctly, yes?

Disconnect all fans EXCEPT the one cable to the CPU fan header on your MOBO, doles any fan show in bios?

Also try any regular fan on the CPU fan header, does it show in bios? Does the fan run and the speed controllable?

Just to confirm, I understand you have the connector with the single wire on a fan header, but it must be on the CPU header and on the correct pin.

You also have the SATA power connection on correctly, yes?

Disconnect all fans EXCEPT the one cable to the CPU fan header on your MOBO, doles any fan show in bios?

Also try any regular fan on the CPU fan header, does it show in bios? Does the fan run and the speed controllable?

Yes my CPU_FAN1 had 4 pins sticking out

but the wire has 3 holes fit in

so the CPU fan should be good but when i start windows it says theres no cpu fan detected

about the SATA power if thats for the mini usb cable then i have it all plugged in correctly

min usb goes to the block

and the other side goes to the usb2 port on my mobo

sorry don't know how to explain this well

i have 2 fans that came with the case and those fans show up in bios

As a test, disconnect all fans.

Connect one PWM four pin fan to the CPU fan header. Boot into bios. Does that fan now show as connected to the CPU fan? This will confirm you MOBO is good.

The one wire from your AIO sends an RPM signal to the MOBO, that is all. The MOBO expects this signal. If the plug is on the wrong pin, no 'fan' (or a broken one) is detected.

As a test, disconnect all fans.

Connect one PWM four pin fan to the CPU fan header. Boot into bios. Does that fan now show as connected to the CPU fan? This will confirm you MOBO is good.

The one wire from your AIO sends an RPM signal to the MOBO, that is all. The MOBO expects this signal. If the plug is on the wrong pin, no 'fan' (or a broken one) is detected.

Yes my one of my fans worked it got detected but for some reason i couldn't change rpm

so what can i do now that i know this is a defect from my cooler?

Yes my one of my fans worked it got detected but for some reason i couldn't change rpm

so what can i do now that i know this is a defect from my cooler?

To be clear, you were able to connect a PWM fan to the CPU Fan header on your MOBO and set it to max rpm, correct? It must be set to max for the cooler to operate properly. If you cannot set the RPM, you may have a MOBO issue.

Then, connect the cooler single wire plug in the same orientation, it should work. Corsair link too, should 'see' the cooler as well.

To be clear, you were able to connect a PWM fan to the CPU Fan header on your MOBO and set it to max rpm, correct? It must be set to max for the cooler to operate properly. If you cannot set the RPM, you may have a MOBO issue.

Then, connect the cooler single wire plug in the same orientation, it should work. Corsair link too, should 'see' the cooler as well.

i don't know what im honestly doing i don't think i know how to change rpm

but when i plugged in my h100i wire into a system fan header it light up the LED but when i plugged it into CPU fan it didn't

i dont know whats really happening is it a problem within my motherboard or cooler

i don't know what im honestly doing i don't think i know how to change rpm

but when i plugged in my h100i wire into a system fan header it light up the LED but when i plugged it into CPU fan it didn't

i dont know whats really happening is it a problem within my motherboard or cooler

You need to understand how your MOBO controls fan speed. It must be set to max for the CPU Fan. That is the first step. That has to be correct.

First, you do need to make sure that the CPU Fan is set to PWM mode or DC Mode/100% power. That will provide the full 12v to the unit, which it needs. There is no SATA connector.

You said that it "sounds like a jet engine". So ... I'm assuming that the fans for the radiator are connected to the pump block (as per instructions), correct? And the fans are spinning?

Do you have any readings on CPU temperature in the BIOS? If so what is the temperature of the CPU?

First, you do need to make sure that the CPU Fan is set to PWM mode or DC Mode/100% power. That will provide the full 12v to the unit, which it needs. There is no SATA connector.

You said that it "sounds like a jet engine". So ... I'm assuming that the fans for the radiator are connected to the pump block (as per instructions), correct? And the fans are spinning?

Do you have any readings on CPU temperature in the BIOS? If so what is the temperature of the CPU?

CPU temp is around 25-30 doesn't go lower

the CPU fan in bios was already set to PWM mode

i tried ticking it to DC but for some reason the fans stopped spinning so i restarted and tried again now they are spinning

there is a mini usb sata that goes to the block

and the other end goes to an open usb slot

I think you are at cross purposes here. When you plug the radiator fans into the pump block, you are giving control over them to the H100i v2's internal fan controller. You cannot access this from the BIOS and you will not see fan speeds in the BIOS. You can only access and control the pump and fans through the Corsair Link software. To do this, the USB cable must be connected between unit and motherboard. That is the only way a device can exchange information between software and device.

Open up Link. There will be a lot of stuff and not all of it useful. Later, you will want to drag some dials around and configure it to be more visually efficient, but for now stay on the Home panel and find the H100i v2 Box on the right side. Click on the fan in that box. It is one control for both fans on the H100i v2. A pop-up window should appear with some fan curves and control options. "Group" - this is the control variable. You likely want it on H100i v2 Temp. This is the coolant temperature and the preset curves (Quiet, Balanced, performance) were all designed with this variable. It is also how the cooler really works. Fans remove heat from the coolant, not cool the CPU directly. Note the presets all have their 100% line at around 40C. This is not a special number ut reflects a substantial rise from the 20-23C normal base room temperature. The problem is most of us do not have perfect climate controlled rooms and ultimately case temperature is the real issue. If you heat the case up with your 980 Ti to 40C (or whatever), the fans will run at maximum, even if they don't need to. Ultimately, you will probably want to design your own custom curves, but for now test the basic presets and see if the fan speeds change. Also try a fixed percentage up and down.

You do not have to use the pump fan controller and the fans can be plugged into the board or other control source and used in other ways. However, I recommend you give it a try on the cooler first, at least to learn how it functions and to get an idea of the coolant temperature range. That is still the key data, even when you move the fans to another control source.

I think you are at cross purposes here. When you plug the radiator fans into the pump block, you are giving control over them to the H100i v2's internal fan controller. You cannot access this from the BIOS and you will not see fan speeds in the BIOS. You can only access and control the pump and fans through the Corsair Link software. To do this, the USB cable must be connected between unit and motherboard. That is the only way a device can exchange information between software and device.

Open up Link. There will be a lot of stuff and not all of it useful. Later, you will want to drag some dials around and configure it to be more visually efficient, but for now stay on the Home panel and find the H100i v2 Box on the right side. Click on the fan in that box. It is one control for both fans on the H100i v2. A pop-up window should appear with some fan curves and control options. "Group" - this is the control variable. You likely want it on H100i v2 Temp. This is the coolant temperature and the preset curves (Quiet, Balanced, performance) were all designed with this variable. It is also how the cooler really works. Fans remove heat from the coolant, not cool the CPU directly. Note the presets all have their 100% line at around 40C. This is not a special number ut reflects a substantial rise from the 20-23C normal base room temperature. The problem is most of us do not have perfect climate controlled rooms and ultimately case temperature is the real issue. If you heat the case up with your 980 Ti to 40C (or whatever), the fans will run at maximum, even if they don't need to. Ultimately, you will probably want to design your own custom curves, but for now test the basic presets and see if the fan speeds change. Also try a fixed percentage up and down.

You do not have to use the pump fan controller and the fans can be plugged into the board or other control source and used in other ways. However, I recommend you give it a try on the cooler first, at least to learn how it functions and to get an idea of the coolant temperature range. That is still the key data, even when you move the fans to another control source.

yes but when i plug the USB cable to the pump it doesn't get detected in corsair link

so then i cant change the fan speeds or do anything

this is all that gets detected

+ my two fans that came

https://gyazo.com/661d0ad1351afee8d35b6f60dc489b58

Yes, no device detected at that is likely at the core of the issue. Unfortunately, this part can be really tedious. If you have another internal USB 2.0 connection, move the plug. I am afraid I am not an expert in this and have been vexed the last two months by my own USB issues not related to Corsair or any cooler, but equally as elusive.

There are a lot of threads in both the cooling and Corsair Link sections of the forum with things to try, but often the root cause is different from board to board. I don't know what board you are on (MSI 270 Tomahawk), but if you have a BIOS "Fast Boot" option or something similar that does not load USB/SATA devices, try disabling it or enabling all USB devices. Someone else may have better ideas.

For now, move the fans off the pump block and onto CPU/OPT (or whatever is convenient) while you try and work this out. It will be better without the airplane propellers. Do you get a reading in the BIOS or other monitoring program for the H100i v2 header? It should show half the pump speed, which should be around 1000 for the low or 1400-1500 for the high. The pump toggles between high or low and is not variable. Without a proper connection, you can't change this and I do not know what it does without commands. It likely follows the firmware default, which I'll gamble is the low setting.

EDIT: What's with the core temps in that screen shot? Were you stress testing? Hold off on that for now. You are going to need to tweak the BIOS and do some other things on a Kaby Lake before you get into that and it would better to sort the cooler issue first.

Edited by c-attack

Yes, no device detected at that is likely at the core of the issue. Unfortunately, this part can be really tedious. If you have another internal USB 2.0 connection, move the plug. I am afraid I am not an expert in this and have been vexed the last two months by my own USB issues not related to Corsair or any cooler, but equally as elusive.

There are a lot of threads in both the cooling and Corsair Link sections of the forum with things to try, but often the root cause is different from board to board. I don't know what board you are on (MSI 270 Tomahawk), but if you have a BIOS "Fast Boot" option or something similar that does not load USB/SATA devices, try disabling it or enabling all USB devices. Someone else may have better ideas.

For now, move the fans off the pump block and onto CPU/OPT (or whatever is convenient) while you try and work this out. It will be better without the airplane propellers. Do you get a reading in the BIOS or other monitoring program for the H100i v2 header? It should show half the pump speed, which should be around 1000 for the low or 1400-1500 for the high. The pump toggles between high or low and is not variable. Without a proper connection, you can't change this and I do not know what it does without commands. It likely follows the firmware default, which I'll gamble is the low setting.

EDIT: What's with the core temps in that screen shot? Were you stress testing? Hold off on that for now. You are going to need to tweak the BIOS and do some other things on a Kaby Lake before you get into that and it would better to sort the cooler issue first.

I've tried another mini usb but that didn't connect

tried tinkering more with the cable now my Corsair RGB logo lights up

and im getting a USB detected in device manager but its not recognized i tried almost everything to unplug my power supply, uninstall, restart,tried updating etc,etc i think this is on corsair now assuming they have to release a patch for this

Your pump LED did not light up before? While you would not have control without the USB and Link, it still should have been on by default (white? - coolant temp). That part makes me worry a little bit about the device itself. If you have not already, submit a tech support ticket to Corsair from the link at the top of this page. There is no reason not to work both ends of the help spectrum and if the unit needs to be replaced, you have to go through tech support anyway. However, this is not a patch it kind of issue. It's either hardware (replace the cooler) or it's motherboard/OS configuration issues. It isn't a software problem.

Your pump LED did not light up before? While you would not have control without the USB and Link, it still should have been on by default (white? - coolant temp). That part makes me worry a little bit about the device itself. If you have not already, submit a tech support ticket to Corsair from the link at the top of this page. There is no reason not to work both ends of the help spectrum and if the unit needs to be replaced, you have to go through tech support anyway. However, this is not a patch it kind of issue. It's either hardware (replace the cooler) or it's motherboard/OS configuration issues. It isn't a software problem.

No the LED didn't light up when i first installed it

it would light up as soon as i turn on my PC and then go out

then i tinkered with it i don't really know what i did for it to light up

So i'm getting

a white corsair logo light up

spinning radiator fans (sounds like a jet engine)

This is also a new computer

Windows was freshly just installed

Windows 10 pro x64 bit

No licence key installed yet i have to purchase one on Monday from kinguin

Hmm... it could be the LED controller on the unit is not sure what to do because of the partial recognition. I would be more concerned if it had never come on at all. I am still wondering about a hardware issue on the unit and I would contact Corsair directly. For now, take the fans off the pump and put them on the motherboard like any normal fan.

Hmm... it could be the LED controller on the unit is not sure what to do because of the partial recognition. I would be more concerned if it had never come on at all. I am still wondering about a hardware issue on the unit and I would contact Corsair directly. For now, take the fans off the pump and put them on the motherboard like any normal fan.

I can't even contact corsair

The country i am in isn't available for corsair support

As my dad who lives in Canada purchased it and shipped it out to me

So i guess i'm pretty screwed at this moment

That does make things more difficult, but running the fans from the motherboard is not a crippling consequence. I tend to nudge people to try the coolant control first, mostly as a learning experience to recognize you don't need a ton of fan speed and to understand case environment changes. However, you, me and most everyone else for the last 10 years has been using standard motherboard controls for separate fan and pump devices. There are other ways to get the coolant temp without Link and it is not necessary to make the cooler function. Since you appear to be functional, you can take a more relaxed approach to solving this. It the unit did not work at all, that would be a more dire issue.