Corsair Community

CL Commander Pro only works 'properly' with V.4.6.086.

William1

I wanted to be able to control my fans (Noctura PPC2000) with something other than the MOBO BIOS, which would not let me run them below 1,000 rpm. So I got a Commander Pro.

The CL Pro was a pain to get it to install (many restarts, swapping of USB connections) and have the H100i and the AX860i visible. If I run a more recent (even 4.7.0.77) version of the software, I see the core count is not right and the AX860i is no longer visible. The version I am running (V4.6.086) only lets me use my custom profile, not the 'Quiet', 'Balanced' or 'Performance'. They are unselectable.

AX860i is daisy chained through the H100i. Connecting it via the dongle made no difference.

Build specs are in my user account here.

The plus is I am able to get my fans to spin down and go from 0 rpm up to max based on temps.

It sounds like you've been doing some trouble-shooting on your own. Can you give me a clear, bullet-point list of the issues you're still having and I can try to address them?

As of today, here are the bugs I have with my current setup.

• If I close Corsair Link, the AX860i no longer shows when I restart CL, I have to reboot.
  • The AX860i will only show in CL if I use the USB dongle and a spare USB port from the Commander Pro. I can no longer plug it into the H100i and daisy chain
  • No longer does the AX860i show power specs in the taskbar icon pull up. I only have temp and pump.
  • No longer does the AX860I have a power section in CL. Only on the Home screen, and there it is just emp and fan speed.
  • If clicking on the taskbar icon and you choose 'About' It does not do the software update check, it only works when CL is visible. There are a few other bugs related to this popup as well.
  • Others have noted, hard drives spin up (are checked) often, preventing the computer from sleeping. This constant spin up has raised my HD temps 10 degrees F. Some of my drives normally are not used all day, now they are being run constantly, not good.
  • Old issue noted by others previously but the core count is wrong. It goes 2,3,4,5:bigeyes:

There may be more, I have had it installed barely 24 hours.

FYI Connecting the Commander Pro was certainly not 'plug N play'. A lot of reboots, installing and uninstalling software, a lot of plugging and unplugging parts of the Corsair CL system to finally get it to work. I am sure if the documentation with the Commander Pro was a little more complete, I'd of had less issues. Perhaps something like (this is a guess of what might of worked on a first go through).

• Uninstall any previous versions of CL
  • Shut off PC
  • Unplug any existing CL devices.
  • Plug in Commander Pro
  • Boot, Install software, update firmware.Shut off PC
  • Plug in pump using a USB port on the Commander Pro
  • Reboot and shut off
  • Using the PSU dongle (Note:You cannot daisy chain the PSU through the pump with a CL Commander Pro!!!) connect the PSU to the USB port on the Commander Pro
  • Reboot and shut down
  • Connect fans and temp sensors
  • Reboot. All devices, fans and sensors should be visible. Configure fans to the appropriate devices for temperature control.

I cannot comment about the LED controller as I do not use it.

Edited by William1

• Corsair Employees

It sounds like the AX860i's Link connection is basically unstable.

Before you bought the Commander Pro, I'm going to assume you had the AX860i plugged into your H100i and everything worked fine, right?

Then you installed the Commander Pro, and that's when the headaches started?

Understanding your second USB 2.0 header on your motherboard is probably being used for your front panel USB, have you tried plugging your AX860i's USB connector into that header?

Yes to all.

Using the dongle, the USB fails during sleep no matter where it is plugged in. It would not work at all daisy chained through the H100i and then through the Commander Pro. It did work fine daisy chained prior to the Commander Pro.

The Dongle USB service must be manually restarted after sleep for the AX860i to 'come on line'.

Thanks Dustin, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I'd also like to see the ability to lower PWM fans under 40%, really no low limit. Anyone running this hardware should be savvy enough to see a fan is not running and raise the percentage. I have fans that run just fine at 20% (2,000 rpm fans happy at 400 rpm), possibly slower though I do not want any less in this situation so I have not experimented.

does everything work without the AX860i ? If so then is it that important to have the PSU connected ? I know its nice to have everything showing but to be honest I nether connected my PSU ( HX1000i)

Being connected through Corsair Link provides additional fan control.

• Corsair Employees
Thanks Dustin, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I'd also like to see the ability to lower PWM fans under 40%, really no low limit. Anyone running this hardware should be savvy enough to see a fan is not running and raise the percentage. I have fans that run just fine at 20% (2,000 rpm fans happy at 400 rpm), possibly slower though I do not want any less in this situation so I have not experimented.

Unfortunately, we can't design the software assuming everyone is so savvy and if you look around the forums, you'll see not all users who are using Link are as into the weeds as we get.

Also, depending on the hardware inside the cooler, it may not actually be able to drive fans that low. There are a lot of factors that led to us having the 40% bottom rung.

If you DO want to go below it, Commander PRO was designed with a Zero RPM fan mode.

Unfortunately, we can't design the software assuming everyone is so savvy and if you look around the forums, you'll see not all users who are using Link are as into the weeds as we get.

Also, depending on the hardware inside the cooler, it may not actually be able to drive fans that low. There are a lot of factors that led to us having the 40% bottom rung.

If you DO want to go below it, Commander PRO was designed with a Zero RPM fan mode.

Got it, so I might want to plug the radiator fans into the Commander Pro instead of the pump. Doable as I still have two slots left though (correct me if I am wrong) but doesn't the Corsair Link software then have a 0 (off) fan speed or a minimum 40% PWM?

I know a lot of fans will not start unless they are at a 40% PWM, I have tested mine and know they will start at 20%. So I suspect 40% is an 'industry safe' setting.

Next time I 'pop the top' I'll swap the fans and give it a go.