Corsair Community

Checking if Hydro h100 v2 is pumping

Sagerronan

Recently I seemed to have noticed that my fans are overly loud. Now the last two times this happened for long periods of time, I had pump failure, first on a h100, and then on a 100 v2. Also today it was making even MORE noise than usual and the lit corsair image on the cooler was lit red until I restarted. It then proceed to do it again, alongside making a rattling noise so I shut it down. I don't have corsair link installed, nor is it currently usable with the amount of motherboard slots I have. Is there any way to tell if it's still pumping without taking it apart? My cpu fans are spinning, and my cpu is around 62c, but my computer started up fine, so I really can't tell (The previous two cooler deaths made it so I couldn't even start it up). If I have to rma a THIRD cooler in 3 years (I rma'd the most recent one in JUNE), I'm afraid I'm just going to have to buy a new one, and I really can't afford that right now. Honestly not sure what's going on with these coolers, they should have much more longevity than this, having to replace it after 4 months is completely unreasonable. Edited by Sagerronan

You can still get a rough estimate of the baseline coolant temperature without Link. As long as your CPU load is low, the baseline core temps (and CPU temp sensor on some chips) will be the same as the coolant temperature. Room temp plays a factor, but regardless of setting and voltage everyone should be idling between 20-40C. If you boot up and you idle at 50C+ with low CPU usage, something is wrong. Another classic sign of pump or flow issues is the slow and steady rise in CPU (and coolant) temperature the longer you are up and running. So you cold boot or wake from sleep and it's 40C. OK, not too bad. Then as you sit there reading this it keeps ticking upwards... 45, 50, 55, 60C etc.

It sounds to me like you are having an issue, but it's not clear whether it is a stopped pump or restricted flow. It doesn't matter for RMA purposes, but it might make it go faster if you are specific in your information with them. Even without Link, you should still get a half pump speed reading in the BIOS or any other monitoring program for the H100i v2 header. So, it shoudl say something like 1000 rpm or 1400-1500 if it is on the higher settings. Obviously zero will tell a story. Also make sure you didn't unintentionally cut the voltage to the H100i v2 header. It is easy to forget about resetting the fan control to 100% if you flash the BIOS or reset it.

If you do have a pump speed and still see high idle temps, it may be the flow is restricted. Super low tech, non-scientific solution... turn the case over on it's side while running. Doesn't work? Tap the pump block and tubes. Still nothing? Take the pump block off and shake it all around (carefully). Not really a solution since the particulate or whatever is clogging the works is still there, but it can buy you some time. Common issue on this specific cooler after moving it in some way (changing fans, cleaning) and then this sudden . The trickier part of this without a coolant temperature is differentiating between a contact issue and high coolant temp. With the high coolant temp, mild loads will cause the CPU temps to go up, but you can watch them escalate. With a contact problem, the temps are often erratic and/or jumpy. Instead of a progressive climb, they shoot from 40 to 90C instantly, drop when the voltage drops, then back. They are essentially all over the place and high. The flow problem will have a smoother progression, starting low and getting worse, and it will be clearly visible. You can watch it happen in front of your eyes. Essentially for each 1C the coolant warms up, your CPU warms up by +1C as well. It is not instantaneous.

If you do have to RMA this through Tech support, make sure to detail your past history.

Edited by c-attack
Usual typos

Yup, headers are fine, no obstructions, a grinding/whirring noise that proceed pump failure the two previous times, cpu temps hitting 8 degrees higher than last weeks' and an intermittent red backlit corsair symbol. My only assumption is that my pump is in the process of dying, truly unfortunate, another rma it is. Much appreciated, that's about what I thought.