Corsair Community

should cooling pump run all the time?

ninja2

Hello all,

I brought a Corsair H60 cooler a couple of years ago and finally unboxed it. I'm using it for an unusual cooling purpose, not in a PC, instead controlling it using an Arduino microprocessor, and a 12V supply for the H60 wiring. So basically the Arduino is simulating PC connections & control.

I've have the fan working fine and can control it's speed using 4 pin connector and PWM. And I can measure fan RPM using sense pin, so all good.

However after I wired up the 3-pin connnector for the pump and applied 12V I can't feel the pump working. Using my trusty multimeter I found it's pulling 15mA from the 12V line most of the time, but every 3 or 5 seconds (approx) it jumps up to approx 300mA, but only briefly. But the pump remains silent / and still all the time, AFAIK.

Also no action on the sense pin

Is this normal behaviour for the pump?

Note I haven't applied any heat to the pump body yet. Maybe the pump has a temperature sensor and only turns on when it's warm enough?

Any info appreciated ...

TIA

Edited by ninja2

No, the H60 is pretty low tech. A power lead for the pump and it should turn on around 9v or wherever the exact starting voltage lies. Normal operation is a steady 12v which usually produces a “speed” of around 4000 rpm. It’s not loud, but you be able to tell it’s running.

ah OK, thanks. Seems mine's not working, darn!

I haven't mounted the pump unit so it's just sitting on desk loose / vertical. I assume this makes no difference, it should still work?

If it's failed I may as well pull the pump apart to see if I can fix it (nothing to lose). What type of fluid is used in these devices?

Edited by ninja2

It should be pretty easy to tell if it's running when on the table. It's a smaller unit with a high speed pump, so there is definitely a signature hum and mild vibration.

The coolant is probably just the usual high water concentration with some proply-glycerol and anti-corrosives. However, before you take it apart you are likely still in the warranty period if you can dig up a copy of the receipt. If not, I'll warn you in advance... sometimes they make these things difficult to take apart - on purpose. I have tried before on a few and it has always been a one way trip. Screws that won't come out without damaging the plate or mount and there isn't a clear fill valve or similar if you are successful.

Edited by c-attack

being the curious sort I took the chance and pulled it apart. Very compact / interesting design. The copper heat exchanger is quite impressive - the pump forces the fluid through many (maybe 100) fine parallel copper fins mounted perpendicular to the thick (~3mm) copper base plate. picture attached for anyone curious.

I think I found the problem, although I did destroy it in the process. I unscrewed the mini circuit board but there are two very fine wires to the pump motor which broke as I pried the board up. But it looks like one was always broken.

Anyway the good news is I got another H60 and it works fine ... thanks fr yr help (including the warning :)

191414675_H60pump1.thumb.jpg.9d8e22374bb40e317763768f6901ee9a.jpg