Corsair Community

CLCP and flashing ML140s

MgARBITER

So, i've been having an issue with my commander pro. It's very odd and honestly could be an issue with something else unrelated to the CLCP as it operates completely fine 99% of the time, BUT i had to send in my first CLCP for the same issue but worse so this is my second unit from Corsair.

To start i have the latest version of Link and the newest firmware for the commander Pro. I have it plugged into the USB header and my H115i and HX100i plugged into the commander. I have 3 ML 140s(Blue LED) plugged into it as well. OS is Windows 10 64bit.

Right, so the issue is the three fans will turn off and on an indiscriminate amount of times. Stay off for a few seconds then come back on and stay on the rest of the time. This is at every boot/restart/wake whatever. It seems it only happens when i start chrome, but it will still do it if left alone after start. Just once. Every boot. Off and on. Then off. Then on again until next boot. It makes no sense. :/

Watching Link the RPM 0s every time they go off so i know its reading it right. I don't use a custom fan curve. I use the quite setting built in tied to my H115i temp(The water temp).

Hopefully someone has some insight this as im lost. Last time, with my first Pro, it would happen all the time and sometimes stay off unless i mess with fan settings.

• Corsair Employees

It sounds like the way your CLCP is detecting the fans is bugging out. CLCP has an algorithm that detects whether you're using PWM or DC fans, but it's not 100% perfect (though it's unusual for it to have trouble with ML fans since we validate those). It may also have something to do with the Quiet fan curve you selected. CLCP's default fan curves are less than ideal - this is something we're working on fixing.

I would actually recommend trying to set either a custom curve or a fixed speed. I personally just set all my fans to a fixed speed (I hate hearing fans ramp up and down), but your mileage may vary. A future version of Link will include a toggle that will enable you to manually set each fan port to run DC or PWM, which will solve corner cases like yours.

A future version of Link will include a toggle that will enable you to manually set each fan port to run DC or PWM, which will solve corner cases like yours.

Ooh that is some good news! I recall that a certain software guru asked for that capability a while back. He figured out how to force the fan type but the force was limited to all fans due to a firmware limitation. There was no way to force each fan type individually. Has this firmware limitation been altered or is that not right and it's just a software change?

It sounds like the way your CLCP is detecting the fans is bugging out. CLCP has an algorithm that detects whether you're using PWM or DC fans, but it's not 100% perfect (though it's unusual for it to have trouble with ML fans since we validate those). It may also have something to do with the Quiet fan curve you selected. CLCP's default fan curves are less than ideal - this is something we're working on fixing.

I would actually recommend trying to set either a custom curve or a fixed speed. I personally just set all my fans to a fixed speed (I hate hearing fans ramp up and down), but your mileage may vary. A future version of Link will include a toggle that will enable you to manually set each fan port to run DC or PWM, which will solve corner cases like yours.

I have switched to a custom fan curve for now and have been monitoring it. So far so good. That's awesome about being able to toggle between Voltage and PWM. Quick question related to that future improvement. Will this allow me to set the fans (also ML 140 pros) on my H115i to be PWM in Link? So far it only gives the options of percentages rather then specific RPMs on any custom or pre installed fan curve, or is the above just not possible due to the H115is built in fan hub or other reason?

Edit: I am aware the fans are technically running in PWM mode as the LED is at full brightness and no weird noises as when i had to run these fans on voltage control. I more or less mean that link will not let me adjust the fan curves by RPM and only lets me use a percentage as if the were voltage controlled fans.

Edited by MgARBITER

The H115i will only be able to do those percentages, it's a limitation of the internal hardware.

Commander PRO is getting the PWM/DC configuration with a combination of a firmware update and software update.

That is GOOD NEWS! Thanks for letting us know.