Corsair Community

h100i custom fan curve won't work.

yahfz

Hi, im having a lot of issues configuring the fan speed on my setup.

I'm using a Corsair H100i + Corsair link 4.9.123

As you can see on the screenshot, my cpu is at 78c at 100% load, at this temperature my fans were supposed to be at a way higher RPM than 900, which is not happening. What should i do? Thanks.

1986513458_corsairlinkfancurve.thumb.png.2dab2e8956d5c052d21c7ea91f97e2c5.png

Have you tried changing the Group setting to one of your CPU cores? If you have it set to H100i temp it won't do much seeing how the coolant usually stays fairly cool, and you can see yours at 39C. I have all my fans (quad setup) set to my hottest CPU core. Works fine even with today's update just make sure to copy to all fans.

The control group is supposed to be set to coolant temperature (H100i v2 Temp) by default. That is how the cooler works. The cold plate conducts heat from the CPU into the coolant stream. The radiator and fans then expel the heat. You only need more fan speed when the coolant temperature rises. While you can run from CPU temperature, this will surely result in very jumpy fan behavior that does not provide any additional benefits. Smooth and steady works just fine for water cooling.

Your fans were only at 900 because you created the curve that way. It takes some time to understand the range and behavior of your coolant temperature, but you should at least try. A typical H100i v2 should ride 4-7C above the room temp. You might see a rise of 6-8C for CPU only tests above that mark. The trickier aspect if you create a lot of other waste heat (GPU) in smaller cases that also affects the coolant temperature. It's not uncommon to see gaming coolant deltas higher than a CPU stress test, but this is due to the rise in case temperature. Just like CPU temperature, you will see the largest changes when the seasons or room temperature changes.

The control group is supposed to be set to coolant temperature (H100i v2 Temp) by default. That is how the cooler works. The cold plate conducts heat from the CPU into the coolant stream. The radiator and fans then expel the heat. You only need more fan speed when the coolant temperature rises. While you can run from CPU temperature, this will surely result in very jumpy fan behavior that does not provide any additional benefits. Smooth and steady works just fine for water cooling.

Your fans were only at 900 because you created the curve that way. It takes some time to understand the range and behavior of your coolant temperature, but you should at least try. A typical H100i v2 should ride 4-7C above the room temp. You might see a rise of 6-8C for CPU only tests above that mark. The trickier aspect if you create a lot of other waste heat (GPU) in smaller cases that also affects the coolant temperature. It's not uncommon to see gaming coolant deltas higher than a CPU stress test, but this is due to the rise in case temperature. Just like CPU temperature, you will see the largest changes when the seasons or room temperature changes.

While that may be true for the most part, you get much better control over the CPU temp when setting the cores as the Group. My H100i coolant temp rarely breaks 40C regardless of what the core temps are. It doesn't make sense to let the cores get that hot. The fans don't sound jumpy at all and remember they're PWM so there is fine control over RPM and it just does its thing. I never even hear them cycle speed until my cores get over 60C I hear it ramp up steadily and with a smooth curve it works great.

Edited by TMoney

That's the notion I am trying to dispel. You don't get better control and the fans have no direct effect on CPU temperature. That's not how the cooler or any other cooler works. Your coolant delta and core temperature over coolant temp are unrelated and have very different root sources. If you coolant delta is +6C, you can only reduce your CPU temperature by 6 degrees, regardless of fan speed or the end core temperature.

Use it however you like, but some cooler models don't work with CPU package temp and/or that may not be a good control variable on some CPU series. It would be better for new users to try the coolant temp variable for a while and learn how it works.

What C-Attack is saying is correct. Think about it. The heat generated by the CPU under increased load must be removed. How efficiently this happens is determined by the efficiency of the thermal coupling between the CPU die and the TIM (Thermal paste) under the IHS, and then the TIM contact between the IHS and the cooler's hot plate. These stages of heat transfer are NOT affected by fan speed. Fan speed can not change any of that.

Fan speed only affects how rapidly heat is removed from the coolant. When the coolant temp rises above ambient temperature, then spinning the fans faster will help move the heat from the coolant to the air. The coolant (and the CPU) temperature can never get below ambient temperature. CPU temps can and do change quickly. My 5820K core temps will jump up ~20C almost instantly when I start a stress test that takes the CPU to 100% utilization. If the fans are controlled by core temp, they will speed up when the core temp jumps up. Since the coolant temp takes time to increase, blowing more air across (relatively) cold water will not do anything except make more noise and waste a bit of power.

Yes the range of temperature difference of the coolant is much smaller than the temperature range of the cores so the fan curve has to operate over a much smaller range. That does not change the fact that increasing fan speed has no direct effect on heat transfer from the CPU cores to the coolant. To be honest, I am not sure why your fan speeds are not erratic, unless there is a significant delay in the fan controller’s response to core temp changes. Some fan speed control software allows a delay to be set to help mitigate this behavior but I do not think Link provides this level of control.

I think we should be fair. The original poster designed a CPU temp curve and was correctly told how to make the fans run from that variable. The phrase "H100i v2 Temp" does not intuitively mean coolant/liquid/water temperature to a new user and it may go on as mystery unless explained.

The more important issue is that users know why the default curves have such a strange range (20-40C) and that it is based on coolant temperature not CPU temp. It is equally as important to understand that coolant temp is hugely affected by local temperature, so the default curves may no be ideal for a lot of people. A 33C coolant temp might be fantastic for Summer weather, but a bit concerning in Winter. Don't be afraid to make your own and you may want seasonal variants. Whether it is CPU or coolant temp based, any preset fan curve is going to be a general middle of the road option and most users may have a preference to tweak it. As long as you know how both options work, you can make your own decision and the cooler should work in either configuration.