Corsair Community

4 led strips per channel max?

Lazybum

So I got all my led strips week or so ago and put them around the edges of my monitors and chained 8 strips together. Linked them 4 strips then extension cable then 4 strips and when plugged into the light lighting node pro and only 4 of the strips work.

So is the max you can link in a row 4 strips without cheating? Let me explain the cheating, when you switch the channel the strips are plugged into from led strips to LL fans then all the strips light up. When its on hd fans only first 2 on the 8th strip light up and here is my thinking: 6 fans x 12 led lights per =72 total and with light loop fans having 16 leds: 6x16=96. So if each strip is 10 lights guess you could run 9 strips in a row when the channel is set to LL fans.

Now to try and figure out the cable management and my PC is done. Where is my dang headset stand?!!?! Almost forgot about that lol.

you only get the option to add 4 strips in Corsair Link dude....

you would put 4 into each of the channels on the node pro.....

you are about to get others jump in and start suggesting SIV and Strips off of ebay... its an option.. just not for me and my Warranty ;)

mmmmmmmm RGB Headset Stand..... say it sllloooooowwwwwwww!

Edited by Zotty

again the pong is slightly off since the 4 lights in middle of the light loop fans light up in diff orders then in a straight led strip, but either way i was able to get all 8 strips to light up off one channel by saying they were LL fans, and gives you all the LL fans lighting options

again the pong is slightly off since the 4 lights in middle of the light loop fans light up in diff orders then in a straight led strip, but either way i was able to get all 8 strips to light up off one channel by saying they were LL fans, and gives you all the LL fans lighting options

indeed... but does allow lots of strips on a node pro lol... i could keep the 8 in my case and add another 8 behind my monitors and under my desk... hmmmmmmmm

indeed... but does allow lots of strips on a node pro lol... i could keep the 8 in my case and add another 8 behind my monitors and under my desk... hmmmmmmmm

i have 4 strips under monitors (2 on each) and 4 strips on top (again 2 on each) then linked with 5 extension cabbles running back into my case and plugged into the lighting node pro. Since its almost in front of case it took 5 extenders tho if i moved it to the back could get away with 4

• Corsair Employees

There are firmware limitations as to the number of LEDs each channel can address, how they can be addressed, etc. Believe me, it gets esoteric. That's why these limitations are in place in the software.

Now if you engage in shenanigans by choosing different products to configure the software with, well, who am I to stop you? ;)

There are firmware limitations as to the number of LEDs each channel can address, how they can be addressed, etc. Believe me, it gets esoteric. That's why these limitations are in place in the software.

Now if you engage in shenanigans by choosing different products to configure the software with, well, who am I to stop you? ;)

True, and point taken but what is the current LED count limit in the current firmware?

If the limitations is 96 leds per channel, like some have said, why cant you add up to 9 led strips to a channel without having to "cheat" the system?

If the limitations is 96 leds per channel, like some have said, why cant you add up to 9 led strips to a channel without having to "cheat" the system?

Excellent question! If the firmware supports 96 leds why then can you not connect up to 9 strips consisting of 10 leds each. Is it because the power requirements are too great for Corsairs Hardware to handle. But if that was true then the 96 led limit is false. Also if you have the max currently listed fan type HD120/140 with 12 independent and addressable rgb leds. That being six(6) fan leds thru fan hub per led channel(Commander Pro / Lighting Node) then you should under the firmware limitations with 96 leds be able to install 16 fans leds to max out the limits. This leaves so many unanswered questions ??

Here is a link to a thread about using and controlling third party LEDs, how to wire them, how many, etc. This was when the limit was lower (72) than it is now. A lot of it is based on SIV, which is an alternate program that can control Corsair Link products, including the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro. SIV can send LED data in different combinations than Link. You can tell it how many strips and how many LEDs per strip. Same for fans. Using this is how some issues were discovered, like the Brightness value only works at 0%, 33%, 66% and 100%.

I bricked my Commander Pro a bunch of times experimenting with large quantities of LEDs in combinations that Link cannot do. The author has since refined the interface so that combinations that would lock up the Commander Pro aren't sent. You can read up on SIV or not, but I think the info you are looking for about how LED control works is in that thread. There is also consideration of max current capability.

The author also played around with addressing LED matrices. You can buy them arranged in a grid. Here is an example.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31408&stc=1&d=1508977052

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168504

I hope this helps.

791270373_8x8ColourWave.png.106217fc6ebe7ed127138ed63e87c5c4.png

• Corsair Employees

When you ask about "why can't I do 9 strips then", that's when you get into the weird esoteric stuff about how the Link hardware is architected.

For example, the LL fans - six of which total up to 96 LEDs - can only be run from software. Hardware playback is not available on these.

I can double-check and see why we cap at 4 LED strips and get back to you.