Corsair Community

CMX512-4000v2.1 and v3.1

hity645

I recently purchased a stick of DDR500 from a friend of mine who had rma'd an older stick that was no longer in production. The stick Corsair sent back reads on the label CMX512-4000v2.1 About a month later I purchased another stick from zipzoomfly, the label on that stick reads CMX512-4000v3.1

My question is what's the difference in the two sticks? I ran a program called CPU-Z and the information it gives me for either stick in slot3 is pc3700, yet both are labeled as PC4000. Do these two sticks not match up somehow? Is there any BIOS setting i can adjust in my motherboard? I have an Abit IC7-G Max II. My only major complaint about this is that when playing a game, my computer locks up at random times and the last 5 seconds of sound is repeated over and over. Thanks to all who respond!

Welcome to the forums, hity645!

Since there are no JEDEC specifications for anything above PC3200, the SPD chips can be programmed using various settings. In this case, Corsair's PC4000 modules are actually programmed with the PC3700 SPD, but these modules are still tested at 250MHz/PC4000 speeds.

However, if you're trying to run in dual-channel mode, you might have some trouble since the modules don't match perfectly. A revision change usually means a change in the IC or the PCB used to make the module and many times dual-channel rigs require the modules to be exactly alike.

However, you can always try relaxing the latencies (3-4-4-8 or 4-4-4-8) and increasing the DDR Voltage up to 2.85 or 2.9 volts.

PLUR

CK

I have tried running with the voltage at 2.8, but I experienced a lock up soon after jumping into a game and now Im trying the voltage at 2.7. The highest voltage i can go up to is 2.8 so... How would i go about changing the latencies? :confused:

I've adjusted some settings...I don't know if their correct but:

Cas Latency Time 3

Act to Precharge Delay 8

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 4

DRAM RAS# Precharge 4

The voltage is currently set at 2.8, I did try it at a lower voltage 2.6 and the computer still locked up while in game.

• Corsair Employees
Please test the module one at a time with memtest to verify on which module is failing; after finding out on which memory module is bad, then just follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Im currently testing the pc using memtest, it has been running for over an hour. Under Pass it says 5, how many passes does it usually do and how long does it take? There have been no errors so far for the v3.1 stick. As soon as this is done or I know that the stick is ok, ill test the second one. Thanks

Ok, Ive now tested both sticks seperately using memtest. There were no errors recorded after 3 passes each. I did notice though that Seperately they showed as Single Channel and i did try the test with both sticks and with both in it showed as Seperately....if the ram isn't the culprit of the pc locking up in games does anyone else know what it could be? Thanks again for all the help. Also, would it be possible to send in the older version of ram, v2.1, and recieve a newer version to match mine? or send the newer in and receive and older version?

• Corsair Employees

To run in dual channel, you would need to be using 2 modules that are the same part# and revision. The only thing I can offer would be to RMA both modules, but you will need to request we send you two modules that are matched.

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

Archived