Corsair Community

Question about AIO

ZeusFede

Hi i have the system of my specs with an additional AF140 mounted in front to intake air, plus the stock fan on front and 1 rear... I will buy a 7700k so i am afraid of the AIO, if can enter top or in front and what is the Best setup for my cpu and gpu.

I want a x61 kraken 280mm because i read that the corsair AIO, the fans are louder and dont COOL too much, but i am afraid of thickness of the AIO 280mm, and dont know if enter top or front. Help and thanks

I am pretty sure a 2000 rpm fan does plenty of cooling. Whether you are satisfied with them or not is another matter. I would never buy one AIO or another based on the stock included fans. There are always replacement options that will be better looking, quieter, or more appealing in some other way. You should choose based on appearance, reliability, or any other factor. You should also include the 280mm Corsair H110i in your comparisons.

On the 400C/Q, the only possible 280mm mount location will the front and I would suggest that as intake. While you can put 140mm fans on top, I do not think any motherboard will provide the necessary clearance for at least 52mm of fan and radiator.

A 280mm cooler is double the surface area of a 140mm. That does not mean you get double the cooling, but is a significant difference and would allow you to run the fans much slower with better cooling. Fairly small cost difference. I can't think of any physical advantage of a 140mm in the front. Having an "open slot" to blow cool air toward the GPU is not likely to have a meaninful difference. It is going to produce heat at the card, so it does not matter whether you remove it from behind or blow it away from the front. Only a m.2 drive near the PCH might benefit from cool steady air.

As for air cooling, you are giving up some overclocking headroom near the top. That may or may not be part of your plans. If you really, really like silence, the noise of 2 fans on a large open cube radiator is always going to be less than a denser water radiator and its pump.

So discard the 140mm aio .. Now the options are 280mm AIO intake vs a Air Cooling like a noctua DH15s ( the smaller one ) , i think if i plan to ocing obviously the 280mm AIO is better , and louder ... But if i not overclocking i think that the AIO is overkill , and the air cooler is enough ? Thanks

I would Google up some professional or user reviews for the various coolers. There should be a decent supply of ones tested with a 7700K. I don't know that I would say the 280mm is wasted on stock 4.5GHz 7700K. That is still going to produce some heat and definitely some high peak CPU temps. That is true for both water and air cooling. However, another thing to consider is the spiky nature of Kaby Lake. The CPU temps really jump around. On an air tower, you more or less need the fans to be reactive to CPU temperature. So while possibly quieter, those fans will change speed quite often. On a completely silent system, that may go unnoticed, but this also can be a major irritant. Fans revving up and down and up and down can be very distracting and worse than a higher speed fan at a steady speed. With water cooling, you can do just that. Set the fans to a comfortable speed and leave them. They do not need to react to CPU temperature and can float slowly up and down with the coolant temperature inside the radiator.