Corsair Community

What is the life span of H80

Psychoelvis

I got a question about what is the life span of a hydro h80 cooller.

And no I am not tacking about the fan, tacking about the pump.

I built my system in the beginning of 2014 and I am thinking to upgrade to a 500$ chip (8700k).

So my question is dat what is the life span of those pump and do I take the risk to use it on 8700k and ti have a failure and burn or damage the ship.

Or sell it or whatever and buy a new cooller?

Thank you

There is no publicly released Mean Time Before Failure for the pump units. However, since Corsair gives 5 year warranty, you can probably conclude the MTBF on all of the components would need to be somewhere in the vicinity of 4-5 years (allowing for other considerations). If not, they would take a financial bath on the warranty costs.

A brand new cooler can fail straight out of the box and that is not a substitute for ordinary monitoring no matter what you have in there. I also would not expect your H80 to drop off "any day now". Some might even argue the earlier units were very durable comparatively. There might be some small measure of performance improvement from similar sized units of more recent release. If you are building a new system, you may simply want a new look or a double panel cooler for the 6 core with high overclock potential.

No matter what you decide, a cooler failure does not automatically lead to a damaged CPU. The CPU has an auto shutdown for a reason. Most people who damage their CPUs do so with current, not temperature.

Archived