Corsair Community

Bad SPD on CMX512-3200 (v2.1) for 865/875 chipset?

Hurin

Howdy,

I've been running one module of CMX512-3200 (XMS3200V2.1) in my Abit IS7 motherboard for a few months now. Up until today, I had been running a P4 2.0A CPU in it, so I wasn't concerned with getting full performance with this RAM considering the relatively low speed of the CPU's FSB.

However, today, I installed a P4 2.4GHz 800MHz FSB w/ HT. I was expecting the RAM to recognize this and adjust appropriately to 200/400MHz. But it is still running at 166/333MHz.

To make it worse, I bought a stick of CMX512-3200C2 to go along with my existing stick. I figured that I could get dual-channel enabled even if things defaulted to the slower, older stick's timings. But, obviously, first that older stick needs to get to 200/400MHz speed!

With the old stick in there, both sticks drop to 333MHz. With only the new stick, it goes up to 400MHz.

This system needs to be rock-solid as it is a digital video recorder and editor. I've read where some older revisions of this type of RAM had trouble with the Intel 865/875 chipsets. I'd like to exchange this stick for one that will be properly recognized in my motherboard without any BIOS tweaking that might adversely affect stability in unpredictable ways. What are my options here regarding an exchange? Obviously, the ideal situation for me is to get it exchanged for a CMX512-3200C2 part (to match my other one). But, since the C2 is one class up in timings performance (though, at newegg, not in price), that might be too much to ask.

Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks!

H

P.S. Longtime loyal customer here. I've got about 30 GB of your RAM running in both my home systems and the systems at work which I built! I especially *love* your recent XL stuff. It allowed me to get my main workstation from 3.0GHz to 3.4GHz!

Quick update: I just did make an attempt at getting the old stick to go to 200/400. I put both sticks in and manually set timings to 3-8-3-3. I set the CPU/DRAM ratio to 1:1 (200:200).

The system failed to post. :(

It'll be a shame if I can't get it swapped for a C2. Cuz then I'll be stuck buying another one. But if I was going to do that, I might as well have gotten a TwinX pack. :(

H

• Corsair Employees

Please talk to your reseller and see what they say.

If they refuse to help you then please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

Hi,

Thanks for the response! I've had this old (non-C2) stick well past the period where the reseller would be willing to help (I think it was NewEgg, but might have been Fry's). So, I hope you don't mind if I jump to the step of sending you the forms.

Thanks!

H

• Corsair Employees

OK then please submit the RMA request be email and make it clear about the part#'s or we will just replace them with the same part# that is received.

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

Archived