Corsair Community

Issue with H100i GTX temps

porterballs

Hello first time post on here basically i moved my H100i last night to the front of my case and was getting temps last night of around 30c at idle. Today i am getting 50c on idle with my radiator at 45-50c.

I am using a custom fan curve profile which has always worked before but i switched up to the balanced profile and the temps raise even higher. Using the latest version of corsair link and my case is a phanteks enthoo evolv with a 6700K.

I was wondering if it was worth reapplying the thermal paste of checking the mount screws on the board as i had to move the cooler around a bit last night to get it to the front of the case any advise? thanks

Your coolant temps are way too high - but you already know that.

If your CPU temp is about the same as your coolant temp, it would seem that the heat is being conducted to the coolant. So I'm not sure that repasting would help.

Did you check that the fans for the radiator are spinning? What RPMs are you seeing? Is there any noise coming from the pump? What are the pump RPMs?

Also, you mentioned that you moved it "to the front of your case". Where was it before? Are your fans configured for exhaust or intake? If exhaust, can you confirm that the warmed air is actually getting fully exhausted? What happens if you take the front piece of the case off? Consider this: If the ambient/air temperature of the air moving through the radiator is ~50C, then that's the coolest that the liquid can get. So it could well be that the current configuration doesn't flow air that's "cool enough" through the radiator to actually cool the system, resulting in eventual, but inevitable, heat build up in the air that's moving through the radiator fins.

I was wondering if it was worth reapplying the thermal paste of checking the mount screws on the board as i had to move the cooler around a bit last night to get it to the front of the case any advise? thanks

Unfortunately this seems to be an issue with the H100i GTX/v2 models. 45-50C coolant temp at idle suggests a flow problem. This can be a stopped or malfunctioning pump, but more likely there is something restricting the coolant flow. When you moved the radiator around, you disturbed some particulate in the system which then became active and settled at the pump strainer. The resulting blockage prevents coolant from getting around at the normal speed. You can try using the faster pump setting to see if that helps, but that would be a temporary measure. You also might be able to resettle things by tipping the case around (while running) or taking the pump head off and shaking it pretty good (obviously while the system is off). Then put it back on, wait 10-15 minutes for the junk to settle elsewhere, and then try again. Neither is a particularly reliable solution, but it might buy you a little more time.

Contact Corsair Tech support and request an RMA. Make sure you let them know the pump is running (?), coolant temps are immediately high at idle, and (I suspect) things continue to get worse the longer you are up and running. The continual slow rise of coolant temp and then very slow to come down temps are the classic signs of flow problem.

TIM or mounting options don't fit this problem, but if you take the pump head off to shake it, you'll get to do it anyway. You can also try more passive solution of turning the case on it's side and letting the pump continue to run.

Unfortunately this seems to be an issue with the H100i GTX/v2 models. 45-50C coolant temp at idle suggests a flow problem. This can be a stopped or malfunctioning pump, but more likely there is something restricting the coolant flow. When you moved the radiator around, you disturbed some particulate in the system which then became active and settled at the pump strainer. The resulting blockage prevents coolant from getting around at the normal speed. You can try using the faster pump setting to see if that helps, but that would be a temporary measure. You also might be able to resettle things by tipping the case around (while running) or taking the pump head off and shaking it pretty good (obviously while the system is off). Then put it back on, wait 10-15 minutes for the junk to settle elsewhere, and then try again. Neither is a particularly reliable solution, but it might buy you a little more time.

Contact Corsair Tech support and request an RMA. Make sure you let them know the pump is running (?), coolant temps are immediately high at idle, and (I suspect) things continue to get worse the longer you are up and running. The continual slow rise of coolant temp and then very slow to come down temps are the classic signs of flow problem.

TIM or mounting options don't fit this problem, but if you take the pump head off to shake it, you'll get to do it anyway. You can also try more passive solution of turning the case on it's side and letting the pump continue to run.

I'm not certain of that just yet. Do you remember the guy (on here, some time ago) that had this same issue and it had to do with the case not exhausting the warm air properly? It was a be Quiet! case ... he reversed the fans (at the advice of be Quiet!) and suddenly his temps dropped. It appears that the case design allowed the warm air to build up, preventing the radiator from actually cooling. It's an easy thing to check ... put it back where it was mounted before or reverse the fans. Some additional troubleshooting steps would be to take the sides off of the case (allowing as much airflow as possible) to see if the coolant temps start dropping. Without eliminating airflow and heat buildup due to restricted airflow, an RMA won't solve anything at all.

At the front, that Entoo case looks like it would restrict the exhaust of the air from the radiators just like the be Quiet! case did at the top.

Here's the link to that post: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=166066.

Edited by DevBiker

Just an update to my problem which i have solved and it was something i didn't consider until checking! For some reason windows was running my CPU at maximum frequency even at idle, i change my power plan to balanced and now the CPU is clocking down when i am not doing anything.

So i am getting 30c at idle which better temperatures than the cooler was when it was at the top of the case and the radiator is also running at 30-32c so very happy i got that sorted, thanks for the help and replies on here i feel slightly stupid for not checking something as basic as that. I did a recent BIOS update and i feel my power options were changed after that because the CPU have never been running 100% on even the max power plan before unless windows have changed settings recently.

Also im getting much better temps with the h100i at the front of phanteks case with the fans pulling the air in the case and coming out the top put my front case fans at the top where the cooler was seems to have helped airflow. Replaced the standard fans a few months ago with the corsair ML120 fans and that has helped with noise.

Excellent news! Glad to hear it!

However, I'd still be a little concerned that your coolant temp stabilized under extended stress at about 50C ... that strikes me as a bit on the high side. (For comparison, with my H100i v2 on a i7-7700K@5.1 Ghz, my coolant temp will stabilize between 38 and 39C under extended heavy load with the CPU running 70-80C). Do you have any idea of what your motherboard temps were? Have you connected a thermal sensor to T_SENSOR1 on your Maximus VIII? If so, where was it placed and what was its temperature? (I have the same connector and actually use it to monitor the temp of the air that's being pushed over the radiator; I also use this reading to control the case fan speeds.)

I'd still be somewhat concerned that you may not have good airflow through the case to keep the internal temperatures lower.

I did consider case and heat elements, however a 15-20C coolant delta is enormous and not something you should ever see at idle, no matter what your configuration. A 45C case temp seemed a bit much for the morning and the listed configuration with the H100i GTX now in front away from most heat sources. I am glad the problem is sorted for now, but dropping from Performance to Balanced in the power plan doesn't account for a 15C rise in coolant temp. Your H100i GTX Temp delta on full 100% stress test would likely be between 6-9C. Double that in the idle state suggests something else. My best guess is we are still talking about disturbed particulate, but the good thing is is sorted itself out rather quickly. If it is working as expected, there is no need to do anything now, but keep that in mind if you need to move around again. The particulate does not go away, if that is the issue.

Any time you flash the BIOS, you wipe your fan presets and need to set them up again. This has foiled more than a few people who forget to set the H100i GTX/v2 header back to "Full Speed"/100%, or Disabled in the Advanced BIOS monitoring section. I am not sure if that was in play here, but that would also account for a sudden drop in flow.