Corsair Community

1GB TwinX-PC3200XLPRO memtest failure

markluke

Purchased 1GB PC3200XLPRO from Newegg along with MSI K8N NEO2 939 Platinum MB and Athlon 64 3500 (0.09). CPU fan is ZALMAN CNPS7000B-ALCU.

New installation of Windows XP Home; video card is 6800GT which was successfully used in another system.

MB BIOS version is 1.4 (latest), running default settings (no OC), plug-n-frag comes up with 2-2-2-5. Memory voltage set variously from default through 2.75.

In all cases:

Ran Prime95 and tested mostly OK when stressing CPU but not memory. Fails right after changing to test more memory. CPU temp ranges from 36C (idle) to 51C (during torture test).

Ran memtest86 and would eventually produce errors after running after a few hours. Consistent every time the test was run.

Running applications, it will occasionally reboot, crash random apps or do a blue screen with memory dump.

Any suggested settings to set to get this working reliably or should I get a RMA to switch?

• Corsair Employees
What slots do you have the modules in and can you tell me the make and model of PSU? In addition, I would try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts with the modules in slots 1-2/1-3 for dual channel and test them again with http://www.memtest.org. And can you tell me what test is getting errors and at what pass?

What slots do you have the modules in and can you tell me the make and model of PSU? In addition, I would try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts with the modules in slots 1-2/1-3 for dual channel and test them again with http://www.memtest.org. And can you tell me what test is getting errors and at what pass?

PSU is an Antec NeoPower 480. Aside from 6800GT there are 2 HD and 2 DVD drives powered, no other slots used.

Modules are in slots 3/4 - slot 1 is blocked by the Zalman CPU fan.

Dual Channel requires either 1/2 or 3/4, 1/3 or 2/4 won't be.

Will reset for 2.8v and rerun memtest. I believe it failed on test #7 after a number of passes but will post the specifics early tomorrow.

I'm getting at least one error about every other pass on Test 7 only. Tests ran for about 9 hours yielding 10 errors before i canceled.

Memory is set at 2.8v, 200Mhz, CAS 2-2-2-5, dual channel (slots 3/4)

These results:

Test# Pass# Address

7 2 0003f928038

7 8 0003fe68038

7 11 0003e94c038

7 15 0002f905038

7 18 0003f16a1d8

7 19 0003f46c038

7 20 0002ffbe178

7 22 0002f4b71b8

7 24 0001fe20038

7 24 0002fc20038

• Corsair Employees

Please try another CPU fan and test the system with the modules in slots 1-2. Reason is the way the MB is laid out would require you to use these slots first. But please try that to be sure it’s not a problem with the modules!

P.S. I have had a few others with this same combo of hardware CPU fan and MB with the same exact problem and in every case using slots 1-2 solved the issue. Also I would suggest you set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts as well.

Please try another CPU fan and test the system with the modules in slots 1-2. Reason is the way the MB is laid out would require you to use these slots first. But please try that to be sure it’s not a problem with the modules!

P.S. I have had a few others with this same combo of hardware CPU fan and MB with the same exact problem and in every case using slots 1-2 solved the issue. Also I would suggest you set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts as well.

Interesting, esp. since slots 3-4 are approved by MSI. However, I'll try it out over the next couple of days and repost.

FYI - the last test was run with 2.8v, I will keep it at this same voltage.

• Corsair Employees

Please let me know, and I would try and test the modules one at time if you still get errors.

But if you find you have a bad module then lets just get them replaced.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived