Corsair Community

H80i v2 Fan Curve Bug

astephon88

I posted this over in the Corsair Link v4.9.0.57 release thread as well, but I'm not entirely sure that was the appropriate place since I don't know that the bug is tied to the new release of CL or even related to CL at all.

I have my H80i v2 fans (plugged into the Y cable coming off of the pump block) set up to monitor the H80i v2 temp group in CL. When the temperature that is being monitored reaches the final point of the selected fan curve (either pre-defined or custom), instead of setting the fan percentage to the define value of the curve, the fans go to 100% (2700 RPM for the bundled SP120 Fans). For example, with the built in quiet curve, when the H80i v2 temp reaches 40 degrees, the fan spins up to 100% instead of the defined 60% (around 1800 RPM).

I have a ticket in with Corsair support, but they want me to return the cooler to the retailer (recent purchase). This really doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me...more like something with corsair link or the cooler firmware...so I just wanted to check here first.

This bug has been around a while, although I thought it was only on the first edition GT/GTX coolers. Regardless, the easier solution should be to set your that last point off into the distance and use the next the last as your final meaningful curve point. There are some other threads in here discussing the issue.

There seem to be several issues with Link 4.9 and fan control, temp probe reporting, and temperature readings in general. I would certainly roll back to 4.8.3 and experiment before doing some dramatic like taking it out.

There certainly are other people using that cooler and Link who may be able to share results or experiences.

Yea, that's what I'm currently doing to work around it. I guess it's a bit nit-picky, but it sucks losing a control point. I looked around a bit in the forums to see if I could find any mention of it and had no luck. But with it being an older bug, it's probably buried somewhere, so I shall do a bit more of a deep dive

Yeah, it would irk me too and I probably spend too much time thinking about my fan curves. However, you don't have too. 1600 vs 1400 should have no meaningful cooling effect, but it most certainly might have some noise consequences. Set that next to last point just above your noise/rpm threshold and don't worry about the 1C coolant temp difference. The cooler will still blast if there is a real problem and you likely will hear it before you notice on your monitoring software that things are out range.

Possibly and likely worth a try. However, I have not used my C-Pro for this yet and cannot offer any insight to the finer details. Also, there some reports Link 4.9 is reading temps incorrectly and/or inappropriately altering fan speed. People who are reliant on that fan control function seem to be rolling back to 4.8.x and the prior C-Pro firmware .21xx as well.