computer:

chaintech 7njs zenith

athlon xp 2600+

nvidia GeForce 2 Ultra

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 platinum

2x80gig WD spec. edition

2 power supplies (400W and 350W)

Windows XP sp2

When my computer boots up and windows starts loading, the system goes dead eventhoug the power is still on. I tried to switch motherboard and used a chaintech SKT600 and still was having the same problem. I put my video card in another system, and it works fine. when I put my stick of memory in another system, windows loaded up and then crashed. when I run the computer on safe mode. everything is fine, so I'm wondering if the stick of memory didn't go bad at some part of it.

*******edit*****

I also fogot to mention that I some point, the problem was so bad that the computer would go dead just before it starts loading windows, or when I was trying to clean install win xp

*******edit*****

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you set the jumper settings on your MB manually from the default 1-2 to 2-3, and put the modules on slot 1&3 or 2&3 (try both); also make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB, and load Setup/Optimized default settings and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

CPU Freq: 200 MHz (4003 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

CMX512-3500C2

CPU Freq: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived