Corsair Community

H115i Two Out of Two DOB

Roger3006

Hello everyone,

I purchased a Corsair H115i from Amazon. Installed it, triple checked everything and could not get the pump or fans to run. Called customer service and was informed the unit was defective. I ask should I send it back to Corsair or Amazon. He said either but Amazon would be much quicker. Go figure. Does not seem Corsair is interested in happy customers.

Another problem, If the ump is tightened according to the instructions, the heat sink will over torques the CPU and it will fail. Many accounts of people saying they had to loosen the mounting nuts so it will work.

I attempted to get my original setup working with my old tower cooler. Afraid I either cooked my processor or torqued it with the first unit. Had my daughter pick a new mother board and processor (i7 7700K) and overnight it to me with enough ram to make it run. Got my replacement and same song. The pump will not run. The only way the fans will run is when I connect the fans to the CPU fan header and the CPU_Opt header with the pump connected to the AIO pump header. Do not know why I bothered connecting the pump,because it does not work.

The mounting bracket is substandard and the manual is poor, at best, with errors.

As of now, I am out over a grand not counting the cost of the H115i, my time and down time. I am through. I have $359 of Corsair ram that should arrive tomorrow. It is getting sent back as soon as I can print a return label. I have had it.

Has anyone else experienced problems or am I just that unlucky?

Will some recommended another cooler by another manufacturer that works?

I started this project to have a better machine that would last longer. I am a photographer and use this machine for image editing. So much for longevity of my old setup. It is dead, I am looking at a fresh install of my OS and programs. Also have to configure the BIOS, set up RAID(s) and restore a couple of Tb of data. My plain failed. I killed my old machine, had to relace. damaged components, lost money with down time, and am still out of business. Why. Do people market something like this?

Thank you all and have a great Sunday.

Roger

Edited by Roger3006

No, he was doing you a favor by recommending the Amazon return. No one is as fast as they are. I ordered a replacement for something Friday night at 11PM and I will have a new one today, Sunday morning.

So you have a second H115i and it also does not power up? It is theoretically possible both are DOA, but at this point I would take a serious look at the connections. As mentioned in the other thread, try a different SATA connection point at the PSU and a different SATA power cable coming from the PSU. Two in a row seems long odds and dead on arrival is not a common complaint with this cooler.

Thanks for the reply,

The second unit was tested with a different setup, and every combination imaginable including a different power supply. The SATA connection is sound.

If it had been my customer, I would have overnighted a new unit and apologized, not left it up to the vendor no matter how good their service is. It is like a car dealer telling you to catch a cab after the new car you just bought quit 50 feet from the dealership.

The second is DOB unless someone knows something I don't about making and testing simple connections. Long odds depends on the failure rate. I am wonder just how long the odds are. Good thing you did not try to contact Corsair on Saturday because they are closed until 9 CDT Monday. Customers don't need service on the weekend. Has anyone said anything good about the bracket? The mounting system is a disaster waiting to happen.

The proper way to have handled the first one was to overnight a second unit to me after it had been tested. That is how to keep a customer. I am finished.

Thanks,

Roger

Edited by Roger3006

Except in this case Corsair is Ford Motor Co. and not the dealership you just bought it from. Regardless, I won't quibble about the analogy and I wish you luck. I don't think your are going to be happy with the service from the competing companies either. I just got back a cooler from someone else that took 7 weeks to RMA. Corsair is generally better than the rest. You may want to look at custom water cooling, if needed or stick with the fewer mechanical parts of an air tower. I am not sure too many things are built to last these days and more durability and higher quality control are needed improvements in a lot of hardware components. Edited by c-attack

I do not care if I was dealing NASA and bought a space shuttle. Product and service is terrible. Ford does not service their cars, the dealer does. Corsair is responsible for service in this case. Call them and listen to the repeating message in call que. If it is not designed to get people off the phone, I am monkey's uncle. By far the most obnoxious one I have ever heard including the Federal Government.

Roger

No, he was doing you a favor by recommending the Amazon return. No one is as fast as they are. I ordered a replacement for something Friday night at 11PM and I will have a new one today, Sunday morning.

So you have a second H115i and it also does not power up? It is theoretically possible both are DOA, but at this point I would take a serious look at the connections. As mentioned in the other thread, try a different SATA connection point at the PSU and a different SATA power cable coming from the PSU. Two in a row seems long odds and dead on arrival is not a common complaint with this cooler.

Corsair has not done me a favor. The tech just told me they had poor service and was not very interested in making it right. We call that passing the buck down where I live.

Roger

Don't bother posting anything on Facebook that is not golden. It appears they screen the post. In my opinion, you will never see anything they do not like.

I would live to see the ones they trashed.

Also, I attempted to file another support case. I cannot login and cannot reset my password. I know what my login is. Looks like I may be kicked out. Will probably be kicked off this forum shortly for telling the truth.

Roger

Edited by Roger3006
More bad news

Well, I filed a claim with Corsair on Tuesday morning. Have not heard a word even after requesting an update twice. I call customer support this morning and finally got a reply. There was one small problem. The reply was in German. I do not speak German. I may have gotten by if it were in Spanish or French but I do not speak German.

I am convinced these people are on CRACK.

Do not buy these products. Everything is fine and dandy when they are working. I have found you are on your own if there is a problem.

Y'all have a good weekend.

Roger

Wow. For what it's worth, that was completely different from the experience that I had when the pump one of my H100i v2's went out. I filed for RMA online, sent the receipt, got approval, sent the pump and got the replacement ... took about 2 weeks all told.

I would agree with c-attack here ... them asking you to do the return through Amazon was to speed things up and get you running in days rather than a couple of weeks. There's a reason why few - if any - manufacturers cross-ship RMAs (which is what you appear to be asking them to do); people too often don't hold up their end of the deal to ship the defective unit back. It's unfortunate, certainly, but it's a fact of the world that we all live in. IMHO, I do think that you are being a little unreasonable in your expectations.

I just went back to your first post and I do have a question for you ... did you ever connect the USB??

You mentioned that you were trying to "keep it simple" and did not connect the USB. But there is +5V of power that's delivered over that USB connection and I'm wondering if that's why you didn't have an LED.

Also, on the Maximus IX Hero, if you connect to the CPU_FAN header, you'll need to go into the BIOS and set the CPU fan to PWM mode OR to DC Mode, 100% power. If you don't do this, the pump won't get the 12V of power that it needs. Now, that's not in the documentation (and it really, really should be 'cuz it's pretty important) but it is on a sticky on this board. If that's not set correctly, typically the fans won't spin.

By the way, if you don't have a spare, open header on your Maximus IX (since it only has 1 Front Panel USB 2 connector), you can take an old-school mini-USB cable and run it outside the case into the rear IO panel of the motherboard. That "Corsair Link cable" eats an entire USB Front Panel header but, if you look at the wires, it's only using 1 of the USB ports, not both.

EDIT: I popped open the manual for my Maximus IX Hero ... you should be able to also plug into the AIO_PUMP header (right next to the CPU_OPT header). It's default speed is "Full Speed" and it's not Q-Fan controlled so that should ensure that you have the power you need. You'll probably need to disable the CPU Fan warning in the BIOS though. I, personally, don't have mine configured this way but I might do it as there was one time when I forgot to update the CPU Fan settings after flashing the BIOS and got kerfluffled when the fans didn't spin. It'd also give me 2 extra controllable fan headers (though they are linked).

Edited by DevBiker

Thank you Dev,

Thank you Dev. I have tried it with the USB connected and no joy. A tech at Corsair said it was not necessary so I left it alone since my first one.

I hate to admit it but I am on my third one with the same results. All came from Amazon. Wonder if there is a bad lot.

I am working on it now. I have the case open and the tower still installed. I connected the H115i every way possible with every setting I can find or think of. I believe there is something I am missing. The BIOS does not know it exist no matter how I connect it.

Something I discovered, this computer will not start if I do not have a fan connected to the CPU fan header. When I plug the H115i I get the same result if I do not have a fan plug in to the CPU header, nothing. The computer will not start. I could like to test the continuity if the single wire that comes out of the pump but I do not know where to put the other end of the probe.

I have been in my shop since 8 AM and it is 11 now. I am beat. Anything I do from here on just might be destructive, Going home and see if I can find anything else on the web about it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and please keep them coming.

Y'all have a great weekend.

Roger:sunglasse:sunglasse

If you connect to the CPU Fan header, the BIOS will show the CPU Fan speed as Pump Speed/2. Of course, you need to set the CPU Fan to PWM mode -or- DC Mode, 100%.

BTW: if the pump wasn't working at all, you'd overheat almost immediately. Seriously ... like within 10 seconds.

You realize that I'm gonna hafta plug into that AIO_PUMP header now, right? Just to see what it does?

OK. So here's what I have for you. My H100i v2, which, AFAIK, is the same pump as your H115i; you just have a bigger radiator, is now plugged in to the AIO_PUMP header on my motherboard. I'm running RealBench to validate cooler operation under load and it's going swimmingly.

The LED is not powered by the USB. I unplugged the USB header and powered up the system and the LED came on white. It didn't change until I logged into Windows (after I plugged it back in, that is).

Now, when I did plug it into the AIO_PUMP header, the BIOS complained at boot that there was no CPU Fan signal found ... press F1 for setup. Which I did. Once I got into the BIOS, a quick look at the CPU Temp confirmed that the pump was working. When the pump isn't working, it gets really hot, really fast; a temp of 32C confirmed (basic) pump operation. I also confirmed that the fans were spinning, which lets me know that the full 12V is being applied.

Once in there, I disabled the CPU Fan warning. First, go to Advanced Mode in your BIOS (default is EZ Mode). If you're in EZ Mode, press F7 or click Advanced Mode on the lower right of the screen (see page 3-4 in the Maximus IX manual).

Once in Advanced Mode, go to Monitor. Look for "CPU Fan Speed" and set to Ignore. Save changes and exit. No more CPU Fan speed warning and you can boot normally. You can also see the AIO_PUMP reading as well ... which is PUMP RPM / 2. (Interestingly enough, it also came up on HWInfo as AIO Pump as well.)

The screen shot is attached to this post.

20171006_235111.thumb.jpg.a14bc6237af9c14ff62d24cb7fde28a3.jpg

Edited by DevBiker

One more note ... I went looking in the manual for some info on disabling the CPU Fan Speed warning. It's not in the manual (naturally). However, on page 3-21, the only thing mentioned on for the Monitor menu is the AIO_PUMP/W_PUMP+ Control and that there are settings for Disabled, Auto, DC Mode, and PWM Mode.

I have mine set to Disabled, which is the default. PWM Mode should also work fine. I did first go here to disable the CPU Fan warning (the actual setting isn't obviously editable) so this, on my system is currently Disabled as well (not the default). I didn't mention it because it didn't get rid of the CPU Fan warning but wanted to mention it in case you went digging in the manual. You don't need to change the AIO_PUMP setting. That's the image attached to this post.

20171006_235005.thumb.jpg.e31cafbe65d6a32ed980c1634d00dd4a.jpg

Thank for the reply,

I have tried every setting possible.

Something to note, the Corsair software has yet to recognize a pump.

I connected the USB cable and smelled something burning. I was able to get the machine shut down right after the cable started to melt.

I have heard nothing from Corsair. I am out a mother board and CPU. They could care less about their customers.

I honestly have no idea what to do next.

Roger

Thank for the reply,

I connected the USB cable and smelled something burning. I was able to get the machine shut down right after the cable started to melt.

Roger

:eek::eek::eek:

At this point, you at least want a working system. I would recommend, at this point, getting an air cooler ... the CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO is inexpensive and should do the job until you get this resolved.

Since I had my pump die on me, I keep one around as backup.