Corsair Community

I think my memory is badged wrong...

Njwilson

Hello, I have 2 sticks of pc3200 XMS, that I thought was registered. The product type that is labeled on my sticks is CMX512R-3200C2PT. This corresponds on the product description as pc3200 registered XMS memory with a latency of 2-3-3-6.

I have a tyan board that accepts registered memory. However, it has problems booting most of the time, and randomly reboots the other part of the time. After trying different power supplies, video cards, and making sure my CPU is cool (very cool.) I decided to run memtest on my sticks of memory, individually. The first stick tested for errors, and the second stick did not. HOWEVER - the CAS latency that memtest recognized was 3-3-3-8. Plus, my motherboard was not recognizing the memory modules as having ECC, both characteristics of this XMS product - CMX512-3200PT. Both look exactly the same except for what the stickers say.

So I ask anyone that can help - what can I do now? I bought the RAM way back in June, and just start using it a month or so ago. Is this considered a bad product? Is someone rebadging memory, in which case - am I totally SOL?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Alrighty here goes:

I have a Tyan Tiger K8WS and an Opteron 146 2Ghz 800mhz FSB, and all the bios setting are set to failsafe. Both the sticks work...even though one shows errors, in dual channel mode. Currently I use the one stick that passed memtest, and still get the same problems as if both or the faulty one alone were installed.

Thanks again RAMGUY.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load Setup/Optimized Defaults and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you still have problems, I would see if the reseller will let you exchnage these for CM72SD512RLP-3200 instead as these would be listed on Tyans QVL list.

I already have the latest BIOS, and ran the tests with the latest BIOS. The 'faulty' stick still tests for errors, as well as the other stick. So now both sticks are defective. They're both the exact type of memory down to the revision, and they work fine except for the rebooting and restarting. I did what you wrote and asked the retailer and they said they don't stock the type of memory mentioned. So do I RMA from Corsair for two sticks of the CMX512r-3200c2pt?

The XMS line of "C2" memory modules have their SPD chip programmed with JEDEC values.

Thus, your computer will detect them at 3-3-3-8 and you'll need to manually adjust the timings to 2-3-3-6 (CAS 2.5 on AMD). They will work at advertised timings.

PLUR

CK

Archived