Corsair Community

H100i V2 Intermittent Buzzing/Wondering if pump is working correctly

paulrg

I installed an h100i V2 about a week or so ago, and I've noticed that when running the pump at performance speed, there is a bit of a buzzing sound which happens intermittently. It doesn't seem to be on a cycle or anything. It's not very loud, but I just wanted to see if that was a normal thing to be hearing. I also can't seem to hear any difference in volume or vibration of the pump when i switch between quiet and performance. Obviously it's a good thing that it is quiet, but I expected to at least feel the pump or tubes vibrate more.

Link is showing correct speeds for the pump and fans. And it obviously seems to be working in that I can run prime95 and Aida 64 stress test on it without problems. I get around 60-63 in Aida with FPU stress test off, and around 70 with it on. That is on my 7700k at turbo frequency (4.5 GHZ) Running Aida64 overnight worked with no problems as well. Idle temps at the moment seem to be around 30-36 I feel like these are probably normal temps for this chip and setup? I know I might be being OCD about it, but I just want to make sure it's at it's full potential. I've heard of air bubbles being trapped sometimes in the tube, would buzzing be a symptom of that?

I was also wondering which mode might be best to use for the CPU_FAN header, since I have the pump connected to it. This is on an Asus ROG Strix z270i board. I've tried q-fan off, PWM, and DC mode at maximums. PWM and DC seem to work the same.

Edited by paulrg

On Asus, the Q-fan mode should be 'Full Speed', although perhaps they tweak the language a little on board to board or locality. Full speed is the preset 100% curve and is the equivalent of going into the Advanced BIOS and disabling control for CPU FAN. They are exactly the same, different language for the two interfaces. PWM and any curve should work too since it would provide 12v all the time, but Full speed/disabled will also prevent other Asus features from trying to tune or manage that fan header in some other way (energy savings, fan mode changes, etc.)

I am afraid the humming is a bit common and varies from unit to unit with no clear pattern. Most people do not experience it at the Quiet level, but all pumps do make some noise. I would stick it on Quiet and leave it. On a dual panel radiator, the pump speed is less important and you should not see any real difference during use. All prior generation coolers maxed out at the lower speed and we managed to get along just fine. At 3000 rpm, the pump is going to be noticeable. Go ahead and run it both ways and see if there is a meaningful difference, but I would leave it in Quiet mode until the situation necessitates something else.

Honestly, if you're staying below 85-90 on a 7700K running above stock speeds without delidding the CPU and applying new TIM, you're doing very shockingly well. Either that or Intel finally used better TIM (Which seems unlikely since even the super chips they are selling for $2000 use poor TIM).

For the pump, there is enough water moving through the system that high speed on the pump is pretty much useless other than wearing it out faster. General advice is to use as low a speed as you can get good thermals with.

Thanks a lot for the help! That puts my mind at ease a bit then. Only problem is I decided to redo my thermal paste last night and had definitely used too much the first time since I had to basically take the cpu out to clean up some goop to be safe. I then noticed there's a small bend and crack in the corner of the cpu. It still works and everything, but I'm debating whether to use an amazon return or not since my thermals are good. Hopefully I wouldn't get worse bin chip back. I've read it can be from heavy coolers being tightened too much, and I had used a screwdriver on the thumbscrews last time. I didn't use a lot of torque, but this time I just used to my fingers and it's running well, maybe a degree or two cooler!