Corsair Community

A7N8X-E Deluxe and VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit, bad module

noprophead

I’m wondering if I have a bad set of memory? I have run memtest (3.2) and repeatedly run into memory errors on Test 5. The memory is Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory.

Prime95 also fails with rounding errors. Heat does not seem to be an issue as the CPU is running around 59c.

I have searched through the threads and tried everything suggested, including the instructions in this thread: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34986&highlight=a7n8x-e+deluxe.

Motherboard: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Bios 1013

CPU: Athlon 3200+

Memory: Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory.

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0023 Silent PurePower 560W w/Active PFC Retail

Video Card: Radeon 9600Pro w/256mb memory

MB CPU Jumpers: 1-2 and 2-3 (Tried both)

Cas Latency: 2.5 and 3 (tried both)

Other timings: 3,3,8 and 4,4,8

Memory Voltage: 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8

CPU Voltage: Stock

Memory slots 1-3 and 2-3 tried both/I also swapped the memory around the slots, the error appears in a different slot. Looks to me like one of the DIMMs is bad.

CMOS reset: Unplugged the PC, removed the battery, set jumpers to 2 and 3 for at least 5 minutes before replacing the battery and moving the jumper to 1 and 2. I did this between each test.

Thoughts? Suggestion?

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would suggest you use these settings:

please try this:

First move the modules to slots 2-3 if they are not there already and then move the FSB Jumper to pins 2-3 furthest away from the CPU. (I know that’s not what the manual says, but please try it.) Then before you turn the system back on clear the bios with the battery removed with the CLRTC jumper for about 2-3 Min. Then when you turn the system back on go to bios setup and load setup defaults and set these settings.

CPU External Freq.: 200MHz

CPU Frequency Multiple Setting: Auto

CPU Frequency Multiple: 11x

System Performance: User Define

CPU Interface: Optimal

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: Auto

Memory Timings: User define

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: 8

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 3

SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay: 3

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

FSB Spread Spectrum: Disabled

AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU VCore Settings: Auto

CPU VCore: 1.650V

Graphic Aperture Size: 64MB

AGP Frequency: Auto

System BIOS Cacheable: Disabled

Video RAM Cacheable: Disabled

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7V

AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.6V

AGP 8X Support: Enabled

AGP Fastwrite Capability: Enabled

Then please test the system one module at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Sorry I was not clear. I also tested each module seperately.

<First move the modules to slots 2-3 if they are not there already and then move the FSB Jumper to pins 2-3 furthest away from the CPU. >

Already set up this way.

<

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: 8

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 3

SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay: 3

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T> ->

Tried that with the settings also tried 8,3,3,3 and 8,4,4,3

I think there are three deltas between the setting provided in the post I quoted and the new settings you provided.

Ok, I'll make the changes and run memtest with each dimm in socket 1 and then run them together in slots 2 and 3.

I assume that if I get the same error with the same module with these setting then the module is bad?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

Yes if you are getting failures with just one module then I would say lets just get that module replaced.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived