Corsair Community

H100i v2 fans on radiator winds up for a short time

sunsun1g

Hi,

I recently built my pc and now I really notice how the fans on the radiator keeps winding up. Only for a brief time (2-3 seconds), but it can happen anytime - wheter during browsing or semi-hard gaming.

Here is a picture of it (from Asus AI Suite) https://imgur.com/IpqBLNS.

Im not sure how to control it, or if i should just get Corsair Link again.

Do they interfere? Because it was WAY worse when i had both installed.

Could it have something to do with where i have plugged everything and BIOS?

Pump -> AIO_Pump

rad fans -> CPU_Fan and CPU_Opt

case fans are on chass fan1 and 2.

The way you have it set up the BIOS (or AI Suite/Fan Xpert) is controlling the radiator fans and not Link. Traditionally, Asus boards will only let you use CPU temp as a control variable for CPU Fan and it's mirror header OPT. Your 270 board like the 170 and X99-II series are supposed to have "fan delays" built into the BIOS (Advanced BIOS - > Monitor section), however in my experience they do not work on the CPU/OPT header. The fans are going to spike when you do anything because the CPU temp is very dynamic, perhaps even overly so on the Kaby Lake.

One way to resolve this is to put the radiator fans on the pump connectors and pass the control back to Link. You would then move the H100i v2 lead from AIO/W_Pump to the CPU fan header. You need to then set the CPU fan header to 'Full Speed' in Q-fan or disabled in the advanced BIOS to ensure it runs at 100% all the time. This is necessary for the pump and fans to work properly. Within Link, you want the fans set to run from H100i v2 Temp (coolant temperature). Coolant temp is a slow to change variable and more reflective of how the cooler really works. This should take the fans back into the slow and steady mode you need and want.

Yes, AI Suite is terrible monitor with slow poll rates. It is really only valuable for fan control. The BIOS fan delays should work for the CHA headers making desktop control a bit less useful, once you figure out your desired operating points.

In theory, you could run a thermistor cable to the the radiator exhaust and control fan speeds from the motherboard via Temp probe 1 (or whatever Asus calls in on 270). However, I am not sure if your board has a temp sensor header or not and it would be a lot more work the same thing. However, it would allow you get the same result without Link, should it be necessary.

After 10 mins of just browsing i've heard nothing from the pump that used to be like 5 min apart (if not more often).

In CL: Do i set the pump to performance? (1860 -> 2970 rpm)

I dont seem to be able to control the other fans there, so i take it they have to be set in BIOS =)

1. In CL: Do i set the pump to performance? (1860 -> 2970 rpm)
  2. I dont seem to be able to control the other fans there, so i take it they have to be set in BIOS =)

1. Quiet/1860 RPM is fast enough for almost all systems.
  2. Yes, use the BIOS to control them.

Archived