Corsair Community

How To Deal With Support Denial

Pocah

I am not sure how to go about this!

I raised a ticket a little while back concerning the Commander Pro. I had to replace a bunch of Corsair case fans with ML140 Pro's ( PWM) because the Commander Pro refused to recognise the Corsair case fans as voltage controlled.

Corsairs own website clearly states that the Commander Pro supports voltage controlled fans.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-commander-pro

"Six 4-pin fan ports with voltage and PWM control

Control 3-pin and 4-pin fans with ease from a complete stop to max speed."

I asked for some form of compensation for the fact that I had to go out and buy fans because of Commander Pro issue.

I was told by the support engineer that Corsair the Commander Pro will NOT drive voltage controlled fans.

Obviously they are talking rubbish. But the problem is what do I do about this? If support deny there is an issue then what on earth can I do?

Hey Pocah!

I don't work for Corsair, and I'm not familiar with their procedures/policies. But I empathize with your situation and wanted to offer what I can. Based on my own knowledge of the general technical support process, I have two recommendations for this.

My first recommendation would be to call and talk with Corsair, directly. Ticketing/chat support systems are a little more convenient, but the chances of something being misunderstood or lost in communication are higher than a voice conversation. It might be easier to talk directly with a support advisor and discuss exactly what the problem is.

If calling in isn't a possibility or isn't something that you're interested in, my other recommendation would be to request an escalation on the ticket. Most technical support groups have an escalation procedure in place. You should be able to reply to the ticket and mention that you're not satisfied with the answer and would like the matter to be escalated.

One of these two approaches should help you get some form of final answer on the issue.

-Andy

I was told by the support engineer that Corsair the Commander Pro will NOT drive voltage controlled fans.

Obviously they are talking rubbish.

1. To answer this question you need to point out that http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-commander-pro specifies:

Six 4-pin fan ports with voltage and PWM control
    Control 3-pin and 4-pin fans with ease from a complete stop to max speed.

and ask for clarification as to why they have said 3-pin voltage fans are not supported :confused:.

2. Yesterday I received an e-mail from a SIV user who has a CLCP that detects his 3-pin voltage fans as 4-pin PWM fans. The Corsair support solution is to RMA the CLCP which is highly unlikely to help and he felt he was :brick:.
  3. He is using SIV to force all the fans to 3-pin voltage, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=911564 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=911716.
  4. In general Corsair seem to be in denial about the CLCP fan detection issues and I am at a loss as to what to do :thinking:.
  5. A good solution would be it implement what I proposed on 17-Jun-2017 @ 10:00 AM :idea:
  6. CL 4.8.2.1 should have been updated to report the fan type as 3-pin voltage or 4-pin PWM :!oops:.
  7. I found implementing fan type reporting trivial when I added CLCP support to SIV which also reports this for CLCC + CLCN + H110i + H80 + ... :nodding:.

After making me reinstall Corsair Link, here is what corsair sent me today. This ticket was created to complain about the buggy 3/4 pin detection.

Since we both know that this issue is present with all units, and is not my unit being defective, i’m facepalming hard right now.

I will try to argue and not send the product to the RMA and have someone talk to me to explain the issue…

Edited by red-ray
Add CLCN + H80 -> seem to be and add actual quote

• Corsair Employees
  1. To answer this question you need to point out that http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-commander-pro specifies:

Six 4-pin fan ports with voltage and PWM control
    Control 3-pin and 4-pin fans with ease from a complete stop to max speed.

and ask for clarification as to why they have said 3-pin voltage fans are not supported :confused:.

This was an error by the customer service representative. Commander Pro supports 3-pin voltage fans, I've tested this personally with our SP120 RGB fans.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from a SIV user who has a CLCP that detects his 3-pin voltage fans as 4-pin PWM fans. The Corsair support solution is to RMA the CLCP which is highly unlikely to help and he felt he was :brick:.

We need to know which fans are being used and detected improperly so we can try to fix the software, but it IS possible the CLCP is having problems.

He is using SIV to force all the fans to 3-pin voltage, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=911564 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=911716.
In general Corsair are in denial about the CLCP fan detection issues and I am at a loss as to what to do :thinking:.

Nobody here is in denial and I'd appreciate it if you didn't speak for us or make assumptions. We hear about detection problems, we investigate, and we try to roll fixes in where we can. But we also have to be able to reproduce those detection issues in order TO fix them, and that can take time.

A good solution would be it implement what I proposed on 17-Jun-2017 @ 10:00 AM :idea:
CL 4.8.2.1 should have been updated to report the fan type as 3-pin voltage or 4-pin PWM :!oops:.
I found implementing fan type reporting trivial when I added CLCP support to SIV which also reports this for CLCC + CLCN + H110i + H80 + ... :nodding:.

Your solutions are not automatically correct, Ray. What works for SIV may not necessarily work for Link, and our processes for these are very different.

Your solutions are not automatically correct, Ray. What works for SIV may not necessarily work for Link, and our processes for these are very different.

1. I never said they were and simply specify solutions which would work for me.
  2. I proposed a solution about 10 weeks ago and look forward to a proposal or solution from Corsair.

1. No, the issue is a CLCP firmware issue and the CLCP firmware needs to be fixed.
  2. Currently all that SIV can do is report what the firmware detected the fan as.
  3. CLCP register 0x27 is called WRITE_FAN_FORCE_3PIN_MODE but as I don't have the CLCP datasheet don't know what I would need to write to this register.
  4. I would have to be brave, feel lucky or foolish to get SIV to write to this register unless I know what needs to be written.
  5. If Corsair make this information available to me via my Corsair NDA then I suspect I may be able to get SIV to help with your issue.
  6. Had I designed or specified the CLCP firmware there would be a per fan register to set the fan detect mode with possible settings of:
    1. auto detect (what the CLCP currently does).
    2. detect if a fan is connected and if so always use 3-pin voltage.
    3. detect if a fan is connected and if so always use 4-pin PWM.
    4. assume a fan is connected and use 3-pin voltage.
    5. assume a fan is connected and use 4-pin PWM.

[*] A write to the register would force a fan redetect using the mode written.

[*] This setting would be saved in NVM and so would only need to be setup/written once.

[*] Ideally the setting would be preserved across firmware updates.

[*] Register 0x20 (READ_FAN_MASK) would be extended to report the four additional detection possibilities.

Nobody here is in denial and I'd appreciate it if you didn't speak for us or make assumptions.

OK, I should have specified "Corsair seem to be in denial", would appreciate replies from Corsair when I e-mail them and hopefully the replies would mean I no longer need to make deductions.

SIV saves the day again! Thank you. You have made my computer USEABLE again!

Problem resolved! You're a godsend Ray.

SIV works wonderfully but CL4 still does not operate properly.

1. I guess Corsair are in an difficult situation when members post such as above.
  2. Why do Corsair think "SIV works wonderfully but CL4 still does not operate properly"?
  3. I have tried to work with Corsair and of late Corsair don't even reply to my e-mails.
  4. I get the impression Corsair will reject any suggestion I make.
  5. I am at a loss as to what I can do for Corsair to be other than critical of me.

• The corsairsiusbxp.cat file is not counter signed by Microsoft and I suspect this is the root cause of all the code 52 issues on Windows 10 systems with secure boot enabled.

Edited by red-ray