Corsair Community

Bad Module?

Mean

P4 3.4 Prescot

DFI Lanparty 875b

x800xt

Raptors HDs

1 gig ddr3200 (cheap crap ram)

The weak point of my system has been my ram. I ordered this;CORSAIR XMS Xtreme Memory Speed Series, Xtra-Low Latency 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 w/ Heat Spreader, Model TWINX1024-3200XL

My system booted perfectly. Upon booting up, I rebooted to check the bios settings for the new XMS ram. 2 2 2 2.5 (like advertised). My bios setting had 3 other settings. LP1, MP1 and HP1. LP1 was selected by default. The menu said this was for low bandwidth. HP1 being high bandwidth...at anyrate, I hit F10 and booted back into windows.

I ran 3D Mark 2003 to see what kind of improvements the new ram brought me. About 2/3 of the way through the test, my pc locked up. I pushed the power button for 4 secs to reboot it. My pc would not boot. I got the one long beep and no posting.

I retested with my old ram...worked fine. Retried with the new XMS...found that one module was bad, or I think its bad. System will not post with it.

I know that my setting descriptions was brief, i used the plug and play install method :sunglasse ...but is there anything that I should look for when I get the new XMS back from RMA?

Thanks for any advice.

• Corsair Employees
Please test the modules one at a time and the minimum suggest voltage for these modules would be 2.75 Volts. I would try and clear the MB bios with just one module and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and do not make any other chnages and test then one up and lets make sure one is not failing.

Thanks for the help. I RMA'd the ram back to new egg. One mod was bad after doing what you suggested.

These are my current settings.

CPU Clock 200mhz

ratio x 17

CPU Clock 3.400GHZ

AGP/PCI/Sata Clock auto

Auto detect PCI clr enabled

Spread Spec enabled

current cpu voltage 1.500v

Current cpu voltage 1.550v

dimm voltage 2.6

agp voltage 1.5

dram by spd

non-ecc

dimm bandwidth LP1

These are my settings. I'm going to set the dimm voltage up to 2.7 to test like you told me, when the new ram arrives. Are there any other settings that I need to change to help me from having another mod of ram go bad?

thanks again.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-3200XL

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration or Advanced Chipset

DRAM Frequency Set: 1:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command Per Clock: 1T

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

Genie BIOS

Clock Spread Spectrum: Enabled

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1 or 100%

DRAM Voltage 2.8 volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 or NVIDIA 5200 or 5700 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Thanks for your help. I received the new dimms back from RMA. Applied your settings and ran the test. 0 errors...

My motherboard is supposed to be over clocker friendly but my P4 is locked...so i had to stick with;

200x17 for cpu

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

Genie BIOS

Clock Spread Spectrum: Enabled

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1 or 100%

Dimm Voltage 2.8

VGA Voltage 1.6

I cant change the ram timing, its greyed out..also i updated to the newest bios and motherboard chipsets. Every driver on my system is the latest or known to work good with my system. Here is what i experienced with the new ram-

Sometimes my pc will reboot when first started up...I play HL2, CSS and i get mem exception errors all the time. Other than that the pc runs good. I ended up putting my old CL3 ram back in. Since the XMS locks up playing games, it really doesnt matter how much faster or better the new ram is. I guess slower and stable is better somtimes..heh

Again, thanks for your help

• Corsair Employees
What Power Supply are you using? And have you tried the modules one at a time? In addition, when you make a change like this you would need to load setup/Optimized defaults in the bios and start with new settings.

Loaded Optimized Bios settings..That is when i noticed my cpu timing going back to 200x17.

last night I loaded opt bios, reformatted and loaded all my games. Still have the same problem.

I have a starlogic 450W, which i forgot that I put in. Forgot to switch my antec PS over to this new case. You think the PS could be the problem? I know that even though the PS says 450 it might not be a true 450W powersupply. Tonight when I get home from work, I'll switch PS or go get a 500W modular PS...those are nice.

• Corsair Employees
Well the symptom you have described could be caused from the PSU, so if you have another one to test with I would try that. In addition, it can also be cause by some type of EMI or grounding issue; if it were me I would try the MB out of the case if the PSU does not make any difference since we have changed the memory once!

I think that I got it fixed.

Bought a new 500W PSU...modular. Installed and tried out a few things and got it to lock up during CSS. The next thing I was going to try was run the ram in single channel so I could change SPD to manual and tweak the settings. Before I did that, I changed the XMS over to dimms 2 and 4, which are still in dual channel mode but for higher end ram (from what I read). Made no sense to me but I tried it.....I've been running games for two hours with no lock ups. *knocks on wood*

I really noticed a diff between the the XMS and the crap CL3 ram that I have for gaming....I hope this fixes it.

Thanks!

well....it locked up again. Ran it in single channel and it locked up even more freq. At this point I think its just a game issue.Mem Error posted on Steams support site

Archived