Corsair Community

A8N-SLI Deluxe & Corsair Memory - Help!

Ariel74

Hello. I recently built a system using the A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and an Athlon FX-55... unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying four 512MB PC3200 memory modules from Kingston, which on my motherboard will only run at DDR333... if I run two of the modules, then they run at DDR400.

I want to stay at 2GB and run in DDR400. What is the best way to achieve this? Corsair makes this model: TWINX1024-3200XL which is two 512MB chips. Can I buy four of these and expect them to run at DDR400?

The odd thing is that the exact Kingston memory module I have is listed in the manual as compatible with 4 chips @ DDR400, but it also says that double sided chips aren't compatible (these are double sided)...

This DDR stuff is new to me, I've been in the RAMBUS world for a few years now and I've lost track of how this stuff works.... so I'm pretty confused... I just want top performing memory, 2GB, DDR400...!

• Corsair Employees
By default the bios/memory controller will set the memory Frequency to DDR333 when you install more than 2 modules. I would suggest you use Twinx2048-3200C2 for best performance rather than 4 modules so you can set the command rate to 1T!

By default the bios/memory controller will set the memory Frequency to DDR333 when you install more than 2 modules. I would suggest you use Twinx2048-3200C2 for best performance rather than 4 modules so you can set the command rate to 1T!

Man... This really beats me up... Why does it have to be this way? I did loads of research before I built my machine, yet I miss something like this... I got 4 TWINX3200-XLPT 512m

My A8N-SLI Deluxe is putting this at DDR333... Is there any way to get around this with the memory I have? Could there be a bios update in the future? Are there manual settings I can do to circumvent this? OR, can I OC my memory back up to the speeds it should run at?

Any advice besides selling the mem on EBAY is appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
You can set the memory Freq manually in the bios and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.9 Volts and I would set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and see if the system is stable, if so you can try and tweak the timings for best performance. But with 4 modules you would need to run at 2T Commantd Rate.

You can set the memory Freq manually in the bios and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.9 Volts and I would set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and see if the system is stable, if so you can try and tweak the timings for best performance. But with 4 modules you would need to run at 2T Commantd Rate.

Thanks for your advice. Though all my memory is 2-2-2-5

Yeah, I'm a bit confused about those manual settings, i.e. which 2 goes where and where the 5 should go, as there are a few other settings in the DRAM section I'm not sure how to set. I DID try to set it manually at DDR400, but the machine wouldn't boot..

One of my friends said that ASUS has a fix for this to allow this memory to run DDR400, do you know of anything? As I can't yet find anything from ASUS.

Also, what is the diff between 1T and 2T? sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to memory(can't ya tell? hehe)

Archived