Corsair Community

Possible bad module/s

leadalto

I have two 512 MB modules. One was purchased on 11/12/03 from Monarch Computer Systems P/N CMX512-3200C2PT XMS3202v1.1 S/N 0344058. The other module was purchased on 05/07/2003 from ebuyer P/N CMX512-3200C2 XMS3202v2.2 S/N 0312784.

Both modules were running until Jan 7, 2005 in an Abit IC7-G mobo with a P4 3.0 Ghz cpu. On Jan 7, 2005 a failed heat sink on the NB chip was replaced. After installing the heat sink, all connections to other devices were made and the system booted flawlessly into Windows XP and operated for about ten minutes before it “froze”.

Rebooting was unsuccessful in that the “freeze” occurred while loading Windows. Finally, the system would not POST. Troubleshooting consisted of reseating the modules, replacing the video board, resetting the BIOS, etc.

My conclusion was that the mobo was dead and another one was ordered from PC Buzz. They agreed to POST the new mobo using my cpu and ram sticks. When the new mobo was tested, with my cpu and ram, it was DOA. The technician was able to verify that my cpu was functional using another mobo. He also used other memory in the new mobo to no avail. He concluded that there was something wrong with either one or both of my memory modules that caused my previous mobo to fail and had killed the new mobo. He was not willing to test my memory modules in another mobo for fear that it might damage another mobo. The most practical option at this point is to test the memory modules to determine which one or both or any is at fault. The technician who did the testing recommended that the memory modules be RMA’d while he obtained another mobo.

The warranty periods of the vendor’s from whom I purchased the modules have expired so I need an RMA.

PS

Is there any significance in the version difference of my modules? i.e. v1.1 vs. v2.2.

In my original mobo, I was never able to run the modules in slots 1 and 3.(no POST). They did run, however, in slots 2 and 4.

• Corsair Employees

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com. And let customer Service know that you would like the revisions to match.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

Archived