Corsair Community

Same Part numbers different?

rrossiter

I have a computer that randomly reboots and I suspect the memory. The current memory is:

Corsair TWINX CMX256A-3200C2PT XMS3202v1.2 0327758

I replaced it with:

Corsair TWINX CMX256A-3200C2PT XMS3202v6.1 0450131-1

When I fire up the computer nothing happens. The system will not boot. I switch it back out and it boots up fine. I can't understand why the same part number would not work. Any thoughts? What happened to the good old days of 30 pin, 72 pin, 144pin memory.

The new memory I bought at the store this weekend was the

Corsair TWINX CMX256A-3200C2PT XMS3202v6.1 0450131-1 which you mentioned. Currently in the computer I have Corsair TWINX CMX256A-3200C2PT XMS3202v1.2 0327758. The computer works with this v1.2 memory but has strange episodes of the screen flickering black and sometimes completely rebooting for no apparent reason. I thought replacing the memory might solve the issue.

Cheers.

I understand the modules that I use at the same time need to be matched. They are matched. I have the 2 sticks of v1.2 in the computer right now. I take those out of the machine and put in the 2 sticks of v6.1 and I can't get the computer to boot. I am not mixing any versions or models. The 2 sticks in the system at any one time are the EXACT same out of the same package.

I am not trying to mix and match. Are you saying that this motherboard will only support sticks that are v1.2 so I should go back to the store and say excuse me, this is the right part number but I need this specific version number. I mean do they stock by version number?

• Corsair Employees
No not at all, please try and reset the bios with just the new modules installed and see if the system will post and let you into the bios. if so please load setup defaults. If that does not resolve the problem, please make sure that you have the latest bios on your MB and if possible can you test them in another system?

So when you say reset the BIOS you are saying to use the jumper to reset the BIOS? All this seems a bit extreme for the same memory. I am afraid of causing bigger problems by jerking around with the BIOS. But what can you do...

So I will install the latest BIOS, test to see if that does the trick.

Then I will reset the BIOS and see if we can get anything.

Then I will take the memory back and throw away the computer I guess.

Good times.

Thanks for the effort.

• Corsair Employees

Well not exactly, the way I understand it you have 2 modules or 2 sets of modules one is rev 1.2 and one rev 6.1 is that correct? If then they are different IC's and would have different timings set in the SPD, even though the modules are tested to the same spec they would be slightly different.

And I would at least try the latest bios and then load setup defaults, this should force the bios to re-scan the devices in your system and clear the previous post history out of the bios, sometimes with some MB's you have to re-set the bios to accomplish this depending on how well the bios programmer does or writes the bios. And any time you make changes to the system the bios should be reset to defaults to make sure the changes are detected properly.

At any rate please let us know if you need help, and you can call our tech support as well at 888-222-4346 option "2" should you need help with this.

Archived