Corsair Community

Possible Defective Module

w__cummings

Hello,

Recently my computer has been restarting with a blue screen error while running memory intensive applications such as games and video editing software. After installing all the latest drivers, I suspected a bad memory module and ran MemTest86 in pure DOS to test my system's memory. The test came back with 11 errors, all in channel 1. I removed DIMM 3 from my motherboard and re-ran the test with no errors. I have been using my computer in single-channel mode with one module and it has not had the restart problems.

My system specs are as follows:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2.0

AMD Athlon "Barton" 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ (200MHz DDR FSB)

2x Corsair XMS3200 512MB DIMMs (CMX512-3200C2PT, XMS3202v1.2)

Timings: CAS 2.5-3-3-7 (Recommended by RAMGuy at system build)

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 8X AGP

Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks for any help,

WC

....putting the 'bad' module in the slot where the 'good' module is. If it still flunks, then you know it's bad RAM. Then, you could try putting the good module in the slot where the bad one was, in order to rule out a possible bad slot on the motherboard. If the good module still passes, then you can rule out a bad motherboard.

Also, if you're overclocking the RAM or the processor, you could try less agressive overclocking settings or disable overclocking entirely and see if it makes a difference. If so, then it was your overclocking. If not, then it's probably the memory.

Hope it works out.

Hello,

Recently my computer has been restarting with a blue screen error while running memory intensive applications such as games and video editing software. After installing all the latest drivers, I suspected a bad memory module and ran MemTest86 in pure DOS to test my system's memory. The test came back with 11 errors, all in channel 1. I removed DIMM 3 from my motherboard and re-ran the test with no errors. I have been using my computer in single-channel mode with one module and it has not had the restart problems.

My system specs are as follows:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2.0

Timings: CAS 2.5-3-3-7 (Recommended by RAMGuy at system build)

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 8X AGP

Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks for any help,

WC

I tested both identical modules individually and together in all possible combinations of the dual-channel slots of my motherboard. I always get a failed test anytime the suspected module is installed in any slot, and I always get a pass anytime the good module is installed alone in any slot.

Here is a complete listing of the BIOS settings:

CPU External Frequency: 200MHz

CPU Multiplier: Auto (set to 11x by the motherboard)

CPU Interface: Optimal

Memory Frequency: 100% (set to 200MHz by the motherboard)

Timings: 7-3-3-2.5T

CPU Vcore: 1.675

AGP Frequency: Auto

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7

AGP 8X: On

AGP Fast Writes: On

Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2.0

I am confident in my overclocked settings because I have been using the PC for about 1.5 years without any problems. I'm not overclocking the RAM since it is designed to run at 200MHz DDR. The blue screen restarts just started recently, however, I am always willing to try higher performance timings, etc. if they will not interfere with stability.

Thanks,

WC

• Corsair Employees
I have no problem replacing your modules, but with what you have posted I would suspect the CPU is just maybe getting tired if you have been over clocking it for a year and a half. To be sure I would try and lower your CPU Freq about 5 or 10 MHz and see if it will pass. If you have a failing module it will fail not matter what Frequency its at and usually on test 4.

I reduced my FSB requency and the memory still failed the test. The failure occurs in test 4 and another later test (I don't remember which one because I've been stopping the test after the initial failure). It also fails at the same address each time.

Is there any way to trade my defective DIMM and my good one plus a little money for a TWIN pair? I did not know they were available when I bought my DIMMs seperately. Just curious...

Thanks for your help,

WC

Archived