Corsair Community

H110i questions

papiya

Hello everyone,

New member here and this is my 1st post. I recently upgraded my aio cooler from an H55 to H110i and just some questions:

1. My motherboard (Asus ROG Strix Z270i gaming) does not have a USB 2.0 header. Is it okay to leave the cooler as is and not connected to USB? Or does anyone have any similar experience with this was able to find a solution?

2. I'm kind of disappointed with the temps I'm getting. My CPU is at 40C idle/60-70C load with the H110i (which is what I was getting with the H55). Is this normal? I was expecting a huge difference in temps but so far I have not seen any improvements.

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone,

New member here and this is my 1st post. I recently upgraded my aio cooler from an H55 to H110i and just some questions:

1. My motherboard (Asus ROG Strix Z270i gaming) does not have a USB 2.0 header. Is it okay to leave the cooler as is and not connected to USB? Or does anyone have any similar experience with this was able to find a solution?

2. I'm kind of disappointed with the temps I'm getting. My CPU is at 40C idle/60-70C load with the H110i (which is what I was getting with the H55). Is this normal? I was expecting a huge difference in temps but so far I have not seen any improvements.

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes, it's perfectly fine if you don't have a USB cable plugged in.

2. It honestly sounds like a mounting issue? You should be getting under 30C, specially if your ambient is 23C-26C.

What's your full system specs so we can assist you?

1. Yes, it's perfectly fine if you don't have a USB cable plugged in.

2. It honestly sounds like a mounting issue? You should be getting under 30C, specially if your ambient is 23C-26C.

What's your full system specs so we can assist you?

Thanks Blake for the response. As for my full system specs:

CPU: Intel I7-7700k

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z270i Gaming

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: RX 480 8GB (blower fan)

PSU: Corsair CX750

Cooler: Corsair H110i

Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S

As for my fan/radiator setup:

1. Radiator is mounted at the front of the case, push configuration

2. 1 exhaust fan at the back

3. 1 intake fan at the bottom

Room temp is about 27-28C, if that helps. Thanks again!

That does sound a bit warm for idle, particularly if you front mounted. The idle temperature is not always the best indicator of performance, but the main factors are:

1) Room temperature (we know this one)

2) Core voltage when at idle

3) C-states or Windows power plan settings that affect idle voltage and loading

Fan speed and pump speed don't have a lot of bearing on this and most coolers all test out the same at idle (within a degree or so). However, you are about +7C over what I would expect. A restrictive dust filter might add to this by reducing airflow. Also, we need to make sure you are talking about either core temps or a specific CPU temp sensor, not package temp or something with non-standard behavior.

I used a usb to mini usb lead passed it through a spare pci expansion plate hole and plugged it into one of the rear usb slots on the mobo.

doesn't look exactly pretty but it works fine, if you have an old DS lead they do the job perfectly (lucky me I had a bunch of them thanks to the kids) or you can buy one from ebay or similar website to do the job :)

as to the temps are you sure its mounted properly? if youve got a tube on thermal paste around it might be worth taking it off, cleaning the paste of the pump block and cpu then applying some fresh stuff and seeing how that works (the pump I got the paste was pretty dry and useless before I ever tried to use the thing likely down to how it was stored before I got it)

Archived