Corsair Community

Had to tap h115i Pump to get started

gdead65

Strange occurrence this am- I got the megatrends "no cpu fan detected" error this am. I got this a few times on my old rig and just had to spin the fan to get it going- SO

With the h115i on a new rig I had to "lightly bang" on the pump a few times to get it going. The temps are stable and nothing out of the ordinary. Could a bearing have seized up, random occurrence of just things not working, or is there something else lurking around the corner

cjeers

it could be your psu not pushing enough power down the sata line to energise the pump a bearing failing or the pump on its way out,

how old the h115?

what psu is it? and how old is it ?

age isn't always a good indicator but if its within a few weeks of first use or several years old its a good chance its developing a fault...

I used to get that with a cpu fan on an old mobo, but that board was several years old and the caps were all bubbled because it was dying and unableo t supply the necessary voltage to first energise the fan, only that cant be the case with the h115 since its powered from the sata or 4pin molex directly off the psu /

Starting voltage should not be an issue on the H115i, but if you have a different SATA cable or PSU point to try, it makes sense to try it. If this was the first time, keep an eye on it when every you wake/boot up. If this has been going on, give the cables a check, try a switch, then contact Corsair Tech Support through the link at the top of the page. Giving it a little tap should help with an air bubble. When it helps get the pump started, that is a little more concerning and seem like a combination electrical/physical problem.

Quick Update: Its been a couple of days and no more occurrences (at least 20 startups and shutdowns). Temps are great- and no strange noises.

I did read in another thread that "particulates" can get caught up in the screen which can cause pump issues

My Wife did mention that we took a power hit (while PC was off). Maybe a correlation with power etc... Ill update if anything is uncovered.

Just keep a casual eye on things then going forward. The "particulate" issue will normally hurt your performance before your ears, but if the pump exit strainer was very gummed up it could cause some back pressure and result in weird noises.

• 1 year later...

SO- its now two years later and the following issue is cropping up. Before I start- The PC was shelved for a couple of months due to travelling.

1. Water and CPU Temps will be fine for a couple of weeks THEN-

2. Steady increase of the water temps (hitting 38-45c) and gradual increase of CPU temps (To 75C) under light-moderate load. Normal under this load is CPU 60c and Water 29c

3. No strange noises, I do see the pump speed is fluctuating 20-50 RPMS (3050-3100)

4. Tubes and pump are not warm

5. I shut down PC, give the pump a few moderate taps and all is back to normal for a few weeks.

Im guessing that this could be air (due to system age) or did gunk form while I had the PC off for a couple of months. OR just a cranky PC

regards

Well, all this time later, it seems safe to assume it was not a particulate blockage back then. You would have seen the end of it long ago. As for now, it could be either that or the bubbles. You seem to be able to return it working condition relatively easily. Flow blockages are usually more stubborn. Perhaps it is just air bubbles. Typically with the bubbles, you will hear a stream of static pops or other inconsistent noise. The pump sounds weird. With a blockage, you don't normally hear abnormal pump sounds until the flow is restricted enough to create back pressure on the pump. Then you might get some whine or increased hum. These two conditions don't sound alike at all.

You'll have to decide what your best course of action is here. If it's not getting much use, then maybe ride it out until the end. Take a look around and think about what you might want as a replacement. Unfortunately, the end often comes rather suddenly.