Corsair Community

Corsair VS Overclock

My current overclock goal is to hit 220FSB with the timings of 2.5-3-8-3 1T. Dunno whether it's possible or not. I'm using Corsair VS Memory, part number S512MB400. Two sticks of it running in dual-channel mode.

Now I've been overclocking the memory for a good while and passed all the Small FFT tests I've tried. But I recently tried the Large FFT test and found out that my memory wasn't keeping up. Since I haven't tried this test before I don't really know how low I'd have to go to get rid of the problem.

The Small FFT Test runs for hours at a time with no problems, but the Large FFT refuses to run much more than 10 minutes. Memtest86 runs on the memory for hours without problems.

What is the highest voltage that the RAM is warranted up to? Isn't it 2.9? My MB will not support that rate, sadly. I've tried 2.75 and 2.8v; that reduced the frequency of the errors but they still occur.

Setting the Max Memory Frequency in the BIOS to 166 fixes the problems, but obviously my RAM is running lower than 200MHz (175 or so); it ran for 8 hours last night, so it's obviously the memory.

What else should I try? Loosening the timings? Dropping the FSB? Or pushing 2.85v through the chips?

Good luck.

If you hit that, post a pic.

If you had the C2's or LL's with the BH-5 chips, it could happen.

Your best bet would be the 3200XL's.

A 220 FSB would'nt even be a goal...........!

Really? That's only 20MHz higher than stock, I know we're talking Value Select but still. Wow... well Prime95 (Large FFT Test) refuses to work but the Small FFT Test passes with flying colors and Memtest86 runs for hours on the machine without complaint. Hmmm... what would be considered a good overclock for the VS RAM?

Edit: RAM part number is VS512MB400

Edit #2: I want my CPU at 2400MHz or above if possible (which I have with 220FSB). If the RAM simply will not do that, would it be feasible to up the FSB to 240, lower the CPU multiplier to 10 and use a divider to set the RAM to stock speeds?

Really? That's only 20MHz higher than stock, I know we're talking Value Select but still. Wow... well Prime95 (Large FFT Test) refuses to work but the Small FFT Test passes with flying colors and Memtest86 runs for hours on the machine without complaint. Hmmm... what would be considered a good overclock for the VS RAM?

Edit: RAM part number is VS512MB400

Edit #2: I want my CPU at 2400MHz or above if possible (which I have with 220FSB). If the RAM simply will not do that, would it be feasible to up the FSB to 240, lower the CPU multiplier to 10 and use a divider to set the RAM to stock speeds?

I do have the 3200XL and have had similar problems with otherwise essentially the same rig. The only way I have gotten to Prime 95 stable 2450 is with lowering mult to 10 and using a 4:5 divider (166 setting in MSI bios). According to most, this is the best way (only way?).

I have explored every message board I can find on the subject, and I am beginning to think it is the MSI neo board. There is even a reported phenomenon that I have tested on a limited basis where a lower vdimm gives better OC results on this MB...go figure.

I would love to hear any other ideas on OC'ing this memory with the MSI board.

Good luck with your OC!

Love the sig Tarkan2467!

Yeah, VS are meant for stability, not performance, they may do well, but it depends on the IC, which can't be looked up.

I know OCing the A64s is odd because you have to keep the HT (or whatever it is) under 1100 I think, some wierd wall in them. If I remember (which I doubt I will, really busy), I'll try to find a thread that's around here about OCing A64s. Great read.

Yeah I've got the HT Multiplier down to 4x, I start to see problems when it climbs over 1000.

The RAM overclocks @ 220FSB just fine everywhere except Prime95. Even Memtest is ok with it for hours at a time with no errors.

I've got a bit of flexibility with CPU temperatures so I might up the FSB to 245 to overclock the CPU to 2.45GHz and put a very mild overclock on the memory to see whether that makes up for my performance loss.

each benchmarking program stresses certain components differently..

a) post - first level of testing (if it won't post, you've definitley pushed it WAY to far! ;): )

b) memtest - 2nd level of testing (if you get errors in memtest, you've pushed your MEMORY to far!)

c) boot into windows - 3rd level of testing (if you can boot into windows, you've made it one step closer to success)

d) 3dmark2001se in windows - 4th level of testing (if you can complete the benchmark, you've gotten another step closer to success)

e) installing windows - 5th level of testing (if you can complete a windows install without recieving any 'file cannot be read' errors or BSODs, your pretty much set)

f) prime95 - final level of testing (if you can run the torture test, with in place Large FFTs, for numerous hours, you can relax, as your totally stable!)

this is the methodology I use, when finding my oc limit.

Archived