Corsair Community

Mem86test errors and odd speed reporting.

Flake

Hi, my first post here, also my first time running Memtest86 too.

Firstly the RAM is Corsair DDR4 in 4 X 8GB sticks 2666MHz

The reason for testing is regular - but differing BSODs playing games.

The BIOS auto set the memory in XMP as 2666MHz but Memtest say it thinks it is 2800MHz, not a big jump but if it can clock it faster then results might be affected, hence the question, can it change the RAM speed?

Having run three passes taking 5.5 hours each time, the results are consistent with the memory passing the test, but with between 700 - 800 errors on test 10, although on this latest pass they are above 900 and it hasn't finished yet. It seems that the majority of problems occur during the bit fade test, and I know that if I increase the refresh rate I could probably reduce these errors. My feeling is though that I shouldn't have to do this with the consequent loss of performance associated.

The question is whether this level of errors would be likely to cause the BSODs and is this grounds to RMA the RAM for replacement?

CPU-Z reports the correct speed, but of course that is running within Windows where MemTest is not. I don't know if Memtest is able to change the speed of the RAM or is just misreporting?

On the other question which is perhaps more important is the error rate with bit fade too high? Would it be causing a BSOD issue?

With the new RAM finally working as it should I ran Memtest overnight and it reported zero errors and the XMP speed was correct at 2666MHz

I can't explain what caused the glitch other than faulty components.

Archived