Corsair Community

By design or bug? CUE2 with Switch & Glaive

CrazyAmbro

Hello All,

I recently picked up a Strafe RGB keyboard and Glaive Mouse. I tried to create both a hardware profile for the mouse and a separate software profile for the keyboard and noticed that the software profile was overriding the hardware derived one I had created for the mouse thus overwriting and taking precedence over the HW config. Is this by design? Can you only have one profile, either a software or HW active at once across both devices? and if so, how idiotic is that? You'd think that since the mouse has onboard memory, you'd be able to save the color profile, DPI settings, etc to the HW profile and create a separate one for the keyboard (software).

Annoyance number 2, Not only are you limited to 5 total color settings for a HW profile but the feature that allows the ripple effects to generate from the key you're pressing is also unavailable. I get that this is due to limited processing and memory available on the device but it's just a bit annoying that you don't have the same flexibility as the software profile.

I don't know if anyone has complained to Corsair about this in the future but at the very least, being able to have a separate profile for the keyboard and a HW one for the mouse would be nice. I don't like that the software controls the behaviors of the keyboard and mouse. When you lock the workstation the controls cease to function as expected and when you login, the mouse will lag for a bit while the software kicks in and applies the settings back to the mouse. It's horribly inefficient and just doesn't work well.

Does anyone have any work-arounds for the aforementioned? Curious how everyone else is going about these limitations.

Thanks all.

Hello All,

1. I noticed that the software profile was overriding the hardware derived one I had created for the mouse thus overwriting and taking precedence over the HW config. Is this by design?

2. Not only are you limited to 5 total color settings for a HW profile but the feature that allows the ripple effects to generate from the key you're pressing is also unavailable. I get that this is due to limited processing and memory available on the device but it's just a bit annoying that you don't have the same flexibility as the software profile.

I don't know if anyone has complained to Corsair about this in the future but at the very least, being able to have a separate profile for the keyboard and a HW one for the mouse would be nice. I don't like that the software controls the behaviors of the keyboard and mouse. When you lock the workstation the controls cease to function as expected and when you login, the mouse will lag for a bit while the software kicks in and applies the settings back to the mouse. It's horribly inefficient and just doesn't work well.

Does anyone have any work-arounds for the aforementioned? Curious how everyone else is going about these limitations.

Thanks all.

When CUE is running, then software profiles are in effect. You can use Corsair devices on any host computer without using CUE; hardware profiles will remain in effect. Corsair sells keyboard and mice that support hardware profiles, and CUE is used as a common programming interface for multiple Corsair devices. As CUE is running on the host computer, it has extensive memory and processing resources available to it, allowing for ripple effects, etc., that would not be possible to run using only the hardware available on the keyboard and mouse alone. This type of separation between more-power software running on the host and less-powerful software running in hardware profiles is common to all keyboard/mouse manufacturers, and is the most efficient method that allows: 1) extensive lighting effects, using CPU control, and 2) hardware-programmed lighting effects/macros that allow a keyboard and mouse to be used amongst multiple host computers.

I am not sure under what circumstances you would want the software controlling the keyboard, but not the mouse. There are no settings for the HW profile that cannot be duplicated in CUE and obviously the software is required to create it and interact with the hardware in the first place. The keyboard and mouse settings are interdependent and be changed at will.

If the 1-2 seconds after re-opening Windows is of critical value, perhaps you can persuade your employer to relax the office rules about locking the desktop while away from your station. I am sure they will agree this is a substantial obstacle to productivity and acquiesce. If for some reason they don't and you really need those 1-2 seconds, set CUE not to run. Or stay 30 seconds after work one day a week, overtime regulations permitting.

When CUE is running' date=' then software profiles are in effect. You can use Corsair devices on any host computer without using CUE; hardware profiles will remain in effect. Corsair sells keyboard and mice that support hardware profiles, and CUE is used as a common programming interface for multiple Corsair devices. As CUE is running on the host computer, it has extensive memory and processing resources available to it, allowing for ripple effects, etc., that would not be possible to run using only the hardware available on the keyboard and mouse alone. This type of separation between more-power software running on the host and less-powerful software running in hardware profiles is common to all keyboard/mouse manufacturers, and is the most efficient method that allows: 1) extensive lighting effects, using CPU control, and 2) hardware-programmed lighting effects/macros that allow a keyboard and mouse to be used amongst multiple host computers.[/quote']

Thank you for summarizing and providing that additional detail.

I am not sure under what circumstances you would want the software controlling the keyboard, but not the mouse. There are no settings for the HW profile that cannot be duplicated in CUE and obviously the software is required to create it and interact with the hardware in the first place. The keyboard and mouse settings are interdependent and be changed at will.

If the 1-2 seconds after re-opening Windows is of critical value, perhaps you can persuade your employer to relax the office rules about locking the desktop while away from your station. I am sure they will agree this is a substantial obstacle to productivity and acquiesce. If for some reason they don't and you really need those 1-2 seconds, set CUE not to run. Or stay 30 seconds after work one day a week, overtime regulations permitting.

c-attack, that's the issue - I don't want the software controlling the effects on the keyboard - I'd like to have the keyboard retain the color profile settings using onboard memory however, the model I selected doesn't make this entirely possible (Static colors only). Secondly, as mentioned in the response from Comet, all of the advanced lighting effects are controlled via the software. The HW profile limits the functionality a bit and only allows a maximum of 5 individual color settings.

TLDR; HW vs Software profiles differ in that the HW profiles are a bit more restrictive however, offer the best compatibility due to not having to rely on the CUE2 software. The software profiles control all of the advanced lighting features that the HW alone, cannot perform. I'd agree with the assessment that most if not all manufacturers operate in a similar fashion.

Thanks again for the input.

Unfortunately, I am not sure the tech is quite there for what you want. I have the more expensive K95 Platinum with profile storage for the keyboard. It has about the largest chunk of onboard storage you can get, but it still cannot do exactly what you are asking. As Comet suggested, there is going to be a limitation to the amount of processing power you can stick in there before heat and reliability become a factor. If you want specific, programmable LED controls on any type of device, you need a software interface for now, regardless of brand.

I can see why you might want to run without CUE entirely, particularly if you have some aggressive IT policies about what gets put on your PC. The K95 Platinum can store some more advanced profiles. I can do multiple single color layers (letters keys one color, function keys another). You can also use the pre-programmed Corsair patterns (spiral rainbow, rainbow wave, rain, etc.) as one of the three profiles. With CUE not running, there is a toggle switch to go between three different on board profiles. You cannot store a very dynamic custom profile with gradient lighting and the more advanced features. I am not exactly sure what you have in mind and the K95P is a high tier keyboard, so that is part of the decision as well.

Archived