Corsair Community

cmk16gx4m2b3000c15 won't run at listed speed on B350f Strix motherboard

Zepthire

This RAM is listed in the mobos QVL as running at 2933 but I cannot get the system to pass POST at speeds beyond 2666. I have the latest BIOS I could locate (805, from the end of June).

I have tried using the DOCP preset and entering the timing myself. I have tried upping the DRAM voltage to 1.5 and the SOC voltage to 0.85 offset + 0.25, as I have been advised to try elsewhere. I've messed with some other options too but I'm basically stabbing in the dark.

Nothing I've tried has got me passed POST at 2933mhz. I'm basically out of ideas and planning on just waiting for future BIOS updates but I don't get why it would be listed in the QVL if it won't actually run at that speed so I thought I'd check here in case there's something I'm missing that others elsewhere haven't suggested.

Just taken from my own experience and learning with the problems I've had.

The way PCs work now is slightly different in that the motherboard has very little part to play in the memory - CPU interface other than connectivity. The Memory controller is part of the CPU and I'm afraid that Intel only guarantee it works to 2133MHz

Running DDR4 above these speeds if overclocking and it seems you've run into the 'silicon lottery' with a memory controller which you are attempting to clock past what it can manage.

Over clocking memory with speed is probably a fruitless task in that it doesn't really get you any more performance, in fact it can make matters worse. The gains are to be found in the latencys, which again are subject to the silicon lottery, but will make more of a gain than the clock speed.

Over clocking memory with speed is probably a fruitless task in that it doesn't really get you any more performance, in fact it can make matters worse. The gains are to be found in the latencys, which again are subject to the silicon lottery, but will make more of a gain than the clock speed.

I feel you should read http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

Archived