Corsair Community

Mixing Memory Sticks

ppk800

Hi, Currently I have: 2x256 XMS Corsair (CMX256-3200C2) running in dual channel mode on Asus A7N8X Deluxe, and XP2200. I'm thinking about upgrading the memory of my system by buying either the CMX512-3200C2 stick or the low latency version of the 512MB stick. Here are my questions that I need help with: (1) would this addition provide any real life performance improvement? (2) would this addition negate the dual channel mode? Would it stll be possible to run this mixture of RAMS in dual channel mode? If so, how (please specify the slots with their assigned color since the numbering terminology seems to be a little confusing) (3) between the C2 and LL version, which one is the better choice if I consider upgrading my CPU to XP2500 with the Barton core so that I can attempt to overclock beyond the 180Mhz mark? Furthermore, would this mixture of C2 and LL cause any incompatible issues? Thanks in advance, Mike

• Corsair Employees
(1) would this addition provide any real life performance improvement? (1A) Answer: Yes 2 modules over one with this chipset would give about 5-10% memory performance but over all system performance would be negligible but you would notice the change. (2) would this addition negate the dual channel mode? Would it stll be possible to run this mixture of RAMS in dual channel mode? If so, how (please specify the slots with their assigned color since the numbering terminology seems to be a little confusing) (2A) Answer: Yes, But with exceptions, This is one of the reasons we came up with our Twinx sets of modules; If the modules are more closely matched the performance would be close to the same but the ability to over clock and still remain stable would be better. Not to mention that in dual channel mode the modules will only perform as well together as the slowest module. I would suggest that you try to match the module revision that you have now if possible. (3) between the C2 and LL version, which one is the better choice if I consider upgrading my CPU to XP2500 with the Barton core so that I can attempt to overclock beyond the 180Mhz mark? Furthermore, would this mixture of C2 and LL cause any incompatible issues? (3A) Answer: Low latency modules are based on faster memory IC's and would be suggested over Cass 2 parts. But again I would try to match the memory that you have. Or if you have another system that you can use this one in I would really prefer a Twinx 3200LL set for Nforce2 chipsets. Ram Guy

Archived