Corsair Community

Faulty 2x256 Twin XMS PC3200LLPT!

hardkorn

Hi!

I bought 2 years ago Twin XMS PC3200 LLPT 2x256 DDRAM Platinum Edition. i have serious rasons to thin that the memory dimms are faulty. The fact is that my system is very unstable in every aplication I run on my system. After testing the modules with Memtest 3.1, one of the memory modules appears to be broken. I ran my computer only with one module, and it's a huge difference, but not entirely errorless. With both of them installed, my PC runs for maximum 30 minutes and restarts, or stops responding, or I have to reset it manually. I can not play games for no more than 20 minutes and have to reset due to some error, blue screens, messages like IRQ_NOT _LESS_OR_EQUAL etc.

I sent an email to the dealer. (from which I bought the memory - it's one of Corsair's european distributors.) and it seems it's a situation without a "happy end". I'm pretty sure that that the modules are faulty, or at least one is, and I want them changed, as it's a product with life-time warranty. I updated my drivers to their latest versions and stil the same.

I mention that I didn't overclocked my cpu or anything in my system.

I'd like to send the parts back to Corsair and have them changed.

Thank you, and waiting for your reply!

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Hi again!

I have a Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra with the latest bios version F10, P4-3Ghz Northwood FSB 800 MHz. Everything is set to default, the memory is set to 400 Mhz, FSB of the cpu is 200 in bios, normal voltage for the cpu, memory and agp.

Nothing concerning performance is set for the mobo, as the system becomes more unstable than it normally is.

I tested the memory with Memtest 3.1 and I get errors.

The thing is that I usually play games, and they work ok, graphics ok, normal framerate and all that, but I can play only for maximum 30 minutes, and my system crashes. The cpu has 45 degrees celsius in idle and 54 in aplications(games). Above all that "the well-known" blue screens- I've seen them all belive me.

Waiting for your input.

• Corsair Employees

Please try and load setup defaults and then set the Dim Over Voltage Control to +.2 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If you still get errors we can try replacing the modules.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived