Corsair Community

AIR 740 GPU not fitting

Dracowolf

In the middle of a build and moving one of my EVGA GTX 980 SC's over from a Carbide 500R case to an AIR 740. The card would not install flush into the PCIe slot. I had to bend the lip where you screw the card down out a little then it went in. I then had to force screws in, so I am hopping its still seated good enough.

I use to run into these kinds of issues back in the AGP\PCI days but not in a LONG time. Anyone with a similar size card and this case had any problems like this?

No, I have run Asus Strix 970 x 2 and a Titan X in a 740 without alignment issues. The only thing that springs to mind is the thumsbscrews can be a little difficult to thread threw straight. I usually don't even bother with the top one. My 970's would sag like crazy. I am not sure if that is a contributing factor or the thumbscrews are the issue.

The tabs aligned up fine to the back of the case. An older AMD card with what appeared to be identical rear plate dimensions when compared side by side installed fine. Just a little bit of bend out to where the screws go in on the card gave it enough space to go flush, I think still don't have psu in to test.

Case had the mb standoffs pre-installed and I don't remember seeing any other sets in the bags for the case so I am guessing they should be the right ones. The IO plate seems to align up fine. Guess it could be a combination of this mb and case together being the problem for this gpu who knows.

This typically happens if the motherboard is not aligned properly. Don't worry, this happens to me sometimes and I've built quite a bit of systems. It's something I learned a while back, typically if the board won't align, it's the I/O shield. Something is forcing the rear I/O ports to not fit correctly due to a metal tab or some sort. Once you figure out which one it is, the motherboard will sit perfectly flush and you'll find your video cards fit perfectly. I've built into about 5x Air 740s and hadn't experienced this issue in all of them. Please chime back in if you figure out what the issue was!

Yeah I often run into issues with IO plates pushing the board out of alignment to the point where I often throw the damn thing away. Had 0 issues though with it on this one plus all the MB screws lined up perfectly so not sure. Its odd though my older AMD card fit fine. Will be putting in a new EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid ICX as soon as they come in stock somewhere and hate to have to bend it just to get it to fit so may pull it all apart again but dealing with the Kraken 62 waterblock and 4 sticks of Trident Z RGB has been a freaking nightmare already.

Ah, so if it's just your current video card, it's most likely got a bent / warped PCI bracket. This will cause it to also not properly align.

I highly recommend hybrid coolers for video cards. Having seen the kind of CONSISTENT performance that hybrid cards offer, it's insanely good. Fantastic and consistent, all while keeping it around or under 60C, it's fantastic. I can't recommend it enough!

Archived