Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400 need RMA...?

oroboros

Hello - I purchased this 1GB kit (2x512,DDR400,PC3200,CAS2.5, value select) in November from Newegg.com. Things were fine until this past week and my whole sytem went wacky. I isolated every component in my system and was forced to conclude that the RAM was the problem. I DL'd and used the latest version of memtest (1.40 I think, from memtest.org) and ONE of my sticks is 100%, while the other shows over 5000 errors within the first 30 seconds. Readings were verified in both slot positions.

So, I've gone through a lot of grief about this, but must also have a working PC. So how should I go about getting an RMA for this, and might it not be cross-shipped? All thanks in advance --

A.A.West

Try pulling out the 'bad' module and see if it resolves the problem. If it does, then it's likely that you have bad RAM. If one's passing and the other's flunking as it is, then this will definately confirm that you'll have a bad module somewhere.

You'll probably have to refer to your motherboard manual (especially for dual channel systems) in order to configure the system with less RAM.

RAMGUY will help steer you into the right path if you need to do an RMA. I'm kind of waiting on him myself with my own memory problems, too as my problems were so intermittant at first, that memtest86 wasn't picking up the problems right away. Just recently it's been finding bad spots in mine.

Good luck with your setup. Looks like we're both in the same poop creek.

Hello - I purchased this 1GB kit (2x512,DDR400,PC3200,CAS2.5, value select) in November from Newegg.com. Things were fine until this past week and my whole sytem went wacky. I isolated every component in my system and was forced to conclude that the RAM was the problem. I DL'd and used the latest version of memtest (1.40 I think, from memtest.org) and ONE of my sticks is 100%, while the other shows over 5000 errors within the first 30 seconds. Readings were verified in both slot positions.

So, I've gone through a lot of grief about this, but must also have a working PC. So how should I go about getting an RMA for this, and might it not be cross-shipped? All thanks in advance --

A.A.West

mjjh, sorry, but your t/s steps are a bit flawed. Your suggestion still leaves the possibility of a bad slot.

oroboros, please be patient! You posted Fri after they closed as well as 24 hours of the original post. They aren't open on the weekend. RG will see your post later today.

What CPU / FSB / motherboard do you have? Try both sticks in the same slot one at a time, and test them again.

I thought I was forgetting something somewhere. :eek:

Matter of fact, I requested an RMA without slot swapping my module and after continued reading, I found that out. Ended up doing me no good, though but at least I was able to rule out the motherboard.

mjjh, sorry, but your t/s steps are a bit flawed. Your suggestion still leaves the possibility of a bad slot.

oroboros, please be patient! You posted Fri after they closed as well as 24 hours of the original post. They aren't open on the weekend. RG will see your post later today.

What CPU / FSB / motherboard do you have? Try both sticks in the same slot one at a time, and test them again.

• 2 weeks later...
Please let us know if you have any problems when you get the moduels replaced!

Thank you again for your prompt reply. I sent the module as detailed on your site early last week, but still no contact in spite of the "24-48 hour" time required. Is there any way you can tell if my replacements are on their way? I'm in trouble without use of my PC. All thanks.

Archived