Corsair Community

CMX512R-3200C2PT failure to boot in Abit NF-7S

rdhinmex

I am having trouble adding a second stick of memory (CMX512R-3200C2PT XMS3200Rv1.1) to my Abit NF-7S board:

ABIT NF-7S

The manual says to add to DIMM 3-->2-->1 in that order. DIMM 2-3 are the 'shotgun' slots that are supposed to be able to run Dual ram modules at 400 MHz.

This is the old Ram I have:

Corsair XMS 3200LLPT XMS3205v1.1 2-2-2-6-T1 CL2 (stable at 2-2-2-5 for over one year)

The problem. When I add the second stick it is not recognized (in DIMM 2--or DIMM 1) and the computer boots with only 512MB, the original stick in DIMM 3.

I took out the old stick, and replaced it with the 3200C2PT (with and without clearing CMOS), and my computer would not boot (long single beep). I replace my old stick, and everything is fine again. I suspect a DOA memory except for two things 1) I am a novice, and 2) this is the third stick of replacement memory to do the same thing. It must be me right? But why would it not boot?

I am not overclocking, just running optimized defaults.

Contact with Newegg (they were great) revealed that my 30 days had long expired, and they will not send me a fourth stick of RAM.

Thanks for your help.

Ralph

• Corsair Employees

Ralph,

I am sorry but the MB you have will not support registered memory. Please see if the reseller will let you send that module back and get a Twinx set of modules that does not have an "R" or "RE" in the part#. Like Twinx1024-3200XL would be the fastest choice!

Newegg already said they would not make an exception, since i had returned the RAM twice already. Also, with the TWIN memory, would I have to buy 512x2 (that means I would have 1.5MB of RAM, which is overkill in my 2500+ Barton). Also, with this MB I was under the impression that it would only support 400MHz FSB in DIMM3 and DIMM2, but if you added a stick to DIMM1 (even if it was CL2) the timings would be slowed to 2.5 or worse. Is this the case? What about 256x2 (since its cheaper)?

• Corsair Employees
Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com. And explain that you need an un-buffered module, we will sometimes swap it if the reseller will not, but make it clear in your email and let them know what the other module is as well.

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com. And explain that you need an un-buffered module, we will sometimes swap it if the reseller will not, but make it clear in your email and let them know what the other module is as well.

Ok, thank you very much for your prompt responses. This has been a great help.

Archived